Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drop in fertility  (Read 5687 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Drop in fertility
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
Has anyone noticed a change in the fertility of their herd. I have 3 boars of various ages from 2 to 6 and 9 sows mostly aged 2 and 3.
The boars have always been very good at their job and catch the sows first time. This year I have noticed that they are catching them second and even third time.
I very nearly culled one of them before I realised it was not just him ::)
They are not over weight and all seem their usual selves. I was wondering if it could be something to do with the weather.
Any ideas.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
Re: Drop in fertility
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:37 am »
Can't say I have BB. One of my GOS sows popped out 17 piglets end of last month.  :o and all of mine have caught 1st time, both sows and gilts. Even my younger boar who popped his cherry caught the sow 1st time. Our winter here in Shropshire was as bad as most (farrowing a sow during -17 ???) and we've hardly any grass for making hay due to lack of rain.

Are all your sows put back to the back to the boar after weaning?

It'll be interesting to see what others have experienced.

Onnyview
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
Berkshire boy i have heard or read that fertility is affected by weather extremes and hot weather in particular can play havoc with boars in particular so make sure your boy has plenty of cool wallows to dunk his working bits in!! ;D sows are generally in season for longer during the summer months and less so thro the winter.
HTh
Mandy  :pig:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »
Yes I got problems here too - all three sows only had one litter each - all been in with boar since last litter weaned but that was December for the first one and nothing yet. She should have had a litter in May as saw the boar cover her. Have seen him cover the others too - and expecting piglets end of july and middle of august. But not scanned them and tbh the july one not looking particulary like she coming into milk or anything - she is still really saggy from her last litter. I had hired him out and was panicking they'd have had nothing either but they had 14 piglets in june so all was working then obviously!
I wish I knew what was going on.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:29 pm »
Hi, I am no expert on this but my boys seem to be mounting anything that moves but they are only 9 months old other boars usually ::), have you changed anything in there diet or moved them to an area there not familiar with the older boys may not be working so hard so the younger ones are having to work harder, I don't know if you do already but a few pints of milk a week helps don't ask me how.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
barrett  if you produce the milk on your holding that is alright
if you buy in your milk or it  is produced outwith your premisses that is illegal and you have to get defras permission sorry :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »
Robert , you seem to be very clued up on DEFRA, is that through lots of years of experience? I always find the DEFRA experience very confusing.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »
it is the regulations that we all have to comply with and should be familiar with
i like dealing with DEFRA it can give you satisfaction(those who know me will understand) ;) :pig: :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »
barrett  if you produce the milk on your holding that is alright
if you buy in your milk or it  is produced outwith your premisses that is illegal and you have to get defras permission sorry :farmer:

so u can feed ur own handmilked cow/goats milk etc ? but not shop bought?
does the same apply to eggs?

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »
no eggs are different you Carnot feed eggs to pigs but you can feed pancake mixture as the egg content is smaller than the rest of the ingredients :farmer: :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 06:20:49 pm »
Yes the boars are going through the motions fine its just that they don't get them pregnant first time. The older one is very vocal when serving so I and the neighbours now what is happening and it goes on the calender,but at the moment 3 weeks later he is at it again. ::) They all catch eventually but I need to be having litters regularly, can't afford to feed them if they are not pulling their weight. :D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 06:34:30 pm »
How are your sows BB ? (It's not always the man's fault  ;) ;D ;D ;D)
Are they all nice and lean ? Fit, active and healthy ?
Do you up their feeding pre and post season/service ?
What protein levels are they getting in their feed ?
As was discussed on here a wee while back - are they getting large quantities of parsnips or citrus ? (it was thought that might affect things)
Are they running with the boars all the time ?
Sorry, don't mean this to come across as patronising - just ruling out all the stuff I can think of, off the top of my head  ::) :)
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:54:46 pm »
you mention boars as more than one                      if there is more than one (in the group) boar they will be jostling for a shot and none actually getting there to fulfill what is required :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »
Robert, I look forward to getting to know your DEFRA knowledge perhaps I could confined in you for information, you seem to explain things better than DEFRA ;)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
Once the sow has caught will she then start to reject boars? is that how you know she is pregnant?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS