Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How wrong  (Read 2654 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
How wrong
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:14 pm »
Myself and a mate brought 2 saddleback gilts on 1st of April both had been running with the boar,also a saddleback.Well as the weeks passed 1 of the gilts started showing signs of being in pig,then the other 1 started filling out,but seemed a good 3 weeks behind her sister.Today on my morning visit to muck them out i was told by my pig partner,"watch your legs they seem aggressive today",so off i went to the stable we keep them in intending on cleaning them out,only 1 of the girls came to greet me the other was behind a partition and out of sight.I was stood at the gate giving an ear rub and called the other 1 but got no response,then i heard a bit of heavy grunting followed by a squeel,went in the stable and there to greet me was 4-5 piglets born by the gilt that seemed less advanced in pregnancy.Anyway the other gilt is laid down showing signs of being in early stages of labour,so we cleared out the other stall put some straw in and the other gilt went in and started nesting.I left about 4-30 and mother number 1 had given birth to 9 piglets,i asked carl(partner) what time would he be leaving about 7-30 he replied,ok i said i will come back at 9pm and check how the other is doing.At 8-50 carl rings me and said the other gilt has had 2 piglets great i say im on my way.Well she had 11 piglets with 1 stillborn,the 2nd litter of piglets are bigger than the 1st but how wrong could i have been as with many others including someone with about 20 years pig experience thinking the most advanced gilt would farrow 1st.I`m chuffed to bits 19 piglets in 1 day,whoo hoo.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:45 am »
Well many congratulations to you and your girls!  You've got your hands full now, eh!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:06 am »
well done them  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:57:53 am »
Congratulations  :)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:56:11 am »
Congratulations  :pig: :pig:
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS