Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spotty Pig Pies  (Read 3956 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Spotty Pig Pies
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
For those of you who missed it in the farmers weekly herewith my recipe for Spotty Pig Pies so named as the meat comes from our free range herd of Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs. These liitle pies are great for picnics and buffets. They are delicious served warm or cold and you can freeze them raw for upto 2 months if using fresh meat. They are also good to make as all the ingredients are in your storecupboard or freezer. Ring the changes by substituting cranberry sauce/cranberries at Xmas or any other fruit that takes your fancy.

Makes 12. You will need a greased 12 hole muffin tin.

350g/12oz Plain Flour
pinch salt
175g/6oz butter or block margarine
6/8 tbsp cold water
8 GOS free range sausages or other good quality British Sausages (approx 450g/8oz)
2 eating apples (peeled, cored and diced 1cm cubes)
1 egg beaten

Put the flour, pinch of salt & fat of choice in food processor with blade attahcment, add 6/8 tbsp water and process on medium speed until ball of dough forms. remove dough from processor shape into round and wrap in clingfilm. Chill in fridge for 30 mins.
Preheat oven to 190c/375f or gas 5
On lightly floured surface roll out 2/3's of pastry and cut 12 rounds using 10cm cutter, use these to line your muffin tin
Chill cases while you prepare filling.
Skin sausages and divide each one into 3 pieces.
Divide the chopped apple between the 12 prepared cases and add 2 pieces of sausage to each case.
Roll out the rest of the pastry and any trimmings to make lids for each pie using an 8cm cutter(or same cutter as bottoms) brush edges of cases with water and top with lids, press edges together well to seal. Chill for 10mins and then brush with beaten egg and bake in oven for 25-30mins. Cool on a wire rack.

We can hold no responsibilty for any weight you may gain as they are exceedingly morerish!!! :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Spotty Pig Pies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »
 :yum: :yum: :yum:
I've got a load of pork to come out the freezer and get sausaged, just found a use for some of them (was slightly worried that the family would get sausage overload - as if  ::)) Sounds delicious Mandy, will report back in due course  ;)
Karen x

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »
I do a very similar thing but I use puff pastry and make a long plait type log. it is great because you can slice it and serve with homemade chutney. A variation is to substitute the apple for leek that is good to.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:21 pm »
Yummm.....sounds wonderful!

I'll definitely be making some.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:53 am »
Just a bump for these as i'm making a big batch of these at the weekend to see us over Xmas as an alternative to sausage rolls. Going to use cranberries/sauce instead of apples and don't forget you can make them with left over turkey too (they won't be spotty pies obviously!) but just cook them for a shorter time as theres only the pastry to cook.
Mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:53:18 am by Fowgill Farm »

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:44:18 pm »
They are really delicious  :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Made a batch with some of our Port and Cranberry sausages last weekend, they went down really well!

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »
I will be making some as soon as I can (mine'll be saddleback pies though ;))

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »
They sound yummy Mandy  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS