Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fibreglass pig shelter  (Read 2366 times)

Zara

• Joined May 2011
Fibreglass pig shelter
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:08:47 am »
Hi there
I am just starting out with keeping pigs and saw a fibreglass pig shelter for sale on e-bay at £50. It is about 8ft long, 3.5 feet wide and 3.5 feet high. I am getting a traditional ark any way but I thought this could be a cost effective (cheap) second arK?

Would pigs be comfortable in a long shelter as opposed to a wide one? and would there be any issues with a fibre glass option (ie. the pigs get too hot?).

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Zara from West Sussex

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Fibreglass pig shelter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:36:24 am »
It should be ok for weaners to fatten in but not for adult pigs. Too low & too narrow to turn around in.
So long as you could drill some ventilation holes in it it for air to flow thro that would help air movement within. My only worries would be it likliehood to blow away in strong winds so you'd have to make sure you anchored it securely and pigs like to rub and chew so fibreglass chards might be an issue.. For weaners you could fill the back with bales to make the living area smaller so they don't toilet in the door way and try and position it somewhere that gets some shade during the day. HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS