Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Four Questions from New Pig Keeper  (Read 2039 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Four Questions from New Pig Keeper
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
Hello All

I am not new to TAS but new (ish) to pigs... My uncle had them when I was younger which is a long time ago! :)

I thought I had already posted a question about my new pigs but now I cant find it - so think I must have boobed so here goes again .. ! Can anyone help please - I have four questions...

1  I have two GOS and two Mangalitza Berkshire crosses for starters... 10 & 11 weeks respectively.. both sellers said had been wormed but think one of my MxB might have worms as she is eating fine but her tummy seems distended in comparison to the others..  So thought I should worm them all..

What worming powder do you recommend please?

2  Also fleas - have seen them on my GOS so all will have them - what do you recommend for fleas please on skin and in bedding?

3  Feeding sow and weaner nuts for now .. but pigs are in large field with loads of grass, leaves etc to forage and nibble through and will shortly be getting leftover veg's from local veg shop..so will adapt my feeding amounts. My local feed supplier only sells nuts, but I wanted to get pencils and other bigger sized food when they are bigger as will be less waste. I am in Yorkshire - what feed and feed suppliers do you use please?

4 Even though they are still small and it is very dry - should I be making them a wallow?

Thanks very much
AB

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Four Questions from New Pig Keeper
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
New to pig keeping myself and the only one of those i can answer is the wallow one lol mine have had a wallow all the way through :) even the sow and new piglets went in it lovely and muddy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »
Hi,

1) Lots of other posts on worming - so not going to start a new one - but basically check for worms with an egg count before "Blanket" worming

2) Again covered by other posts, but choice of injection for parasites or a louse powder.

3) Livestock feed price has gone through the roof  - all I suggest is shop around and aim for 16 - 18% protein levels, feed in a trough so less waste.

4) Wallows are not essential, but they love them, dig a 12" square hole, pour water in and the pigs will do the rest, add more water each day and soon they will dig themselves a nice big wallow.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:33:59 am »
Distended belly doesn't necessarily mean worms, sure she's not getting more grub than the rest? and have you seen worms coming out of her bum or in her poo.
Ask who you bought them off how they were wormed. If it was by jab they shouldn't need doing again, if it was with pellets or herbal wormer ::) then would suggest get noramectin or dectomax jabs from vet.
Fleas - Gold label louse powder from any ag merchant normally does the trick and the jab above will help too.
Pig feed i'm near Thirsk and i use Thompsons of York they're very helpful, i use 16% sow nuts currently £309/tonne tle 01904488388
Yes make a wallow, just tip some water out in a dip in ground and they'll do the rest
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS