Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling much happier now  (Read 1990 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Feeling much happier now
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:43 pm »
Went to meet the slaughter house people today and i was really pleased with the outcome.  The man i spoke to was very nice and said that they have lots of people that do what we're doing and have no idea what they need to ask for or basically what they're doing.  He's told us that we can call him up after they're been slaughtered so they can see what meat is on the carcass and take it from there.

I found out where i offload, where i clean out, the office, and he gave me a form to photocopy about food chain stuff?? not read it just yet hehe.  They are only a small abattoir and family run and it is a nice thing to be able to support them to continue to stay in business.  It is about 30-35 miles one way so not the closest but by far the most helpful and genuine.

Got some booked in for Monday morning  ;D 3 young boars 1 big sow (as biig as kune crosses get) and 1 or 2 smaller gilts :) it's all trial and error and no doubt i will screw up somewhere along the line, BUT, even if i do screw up i have 2 staffies that'll be more than willing to eat my mistakes hehe

HappyHippy

Re: Feeling much happier now
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »
I'm glad it all went well  :)
Sometimes fear of the unknown makes everything seem quite intimidating (or maybe that's just me  ;))
I don't think the staffies will get a look in at the pork  ;)
Now all you've got to worry about is the loading  :o ;) ;D (only kidding - it'll be fine ;))
Karen x

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »
Hi,

I found the easy way to get the pigs into the trailer is to throw their feed in there, if you are a bit concerned have a practice a few days before so they are used to going in the trailer and expect there to be a treat waiting for them ;D
Rob & Manda :)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »
Not worried about getting them in the trailer to be honest.  They went in fine when we picked them up and they had not been handled.  There was the obvious squeeling but nothing got hurt or over stressed.  Got 3 boars going down so will get them in the stock trailer first then put the barrier thingy up and then put the bigger sow in and the 2 gilts.  Got the quad ready to pull said trailer from the field lol so i think we're pretty much good to go.

The slaughter house ok'd my hand pressed ear tags too as they're metal and not plastic so well chuffed about that :) saved some pennies there

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS