Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilt sick - any ideas  (Read 4438 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Gilt sick - any ideas
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:55 am »
I have a lively gilt who I put with the boar yesterday - this morning she has taken to her bed, tried to eat but not drinking.
It was her first move from friends yesterday and it was very hot - the boar did service her. Last night they were the happy couple. So they get on well.  She is groaning a little - temp normal. Any ideas? Haven't seen her wee but she had a poo - I suppose she could be a bit dehydrated?  I have offered her water but she turns away. Concerned because she is always first at the gate for anything. Grateful for any thoughts.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Gilt sick - any ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:58 am »
I would

a) get water down her even if it means a syringe and a lot of patience.

b)  if she doesnt drink after that get vet out. 

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:48 am »
Some bread, well soaked in water might encourage her to take some fluids.

I think If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on her see how she is this afternoon. I've had pigs looking unwell when it's hot or they have had a busy day and a few strawberries and a tummy rub have had them right as rain.

My vet is very good as giving advice, where he can, over the phone (and when he isn't HappyHippy is! :-[ :D), so if not better after lunch I'd give them a call  :pig: :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:53:17 am »
It maybe she had a busy stressful day yesterday with the boars attentions adding in the hot weather too.
It maybe that shes a little sore after taking the weight of the boar - is she moving around ok? You must get her to drink as already mentioned by syringing or bottle down her, water, milk (jce cream milkshake works for my most stubborn!) or oral electrolytes would be a good idea (you can get these from the vet) if she doesn't pick up soon you must call the vet.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:32 am »
Thanks everyone - We are calling the vet now - she has taken a few apple slices but will not drink. Tried most things. She walked about for a few minutes and then went back into her house. She is quietly groaning on and off. There has been no change.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:26 am »
You are doing the right thing calling the vet.

Please let us know how you get on.  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
you could try sweetheart stout, it will be a pain to start with but when she tastes it she should be able to drink it without problems, let us know how she gets on :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:28 pm »
Well Ruby is up and running now. It took her most of the day. She has now settled down well with her new chap  :love: Looking back we think it was a combination of the stress caused by sun - moving and during this time not taking on enough water.  She really had us worried so thanks for all your support.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »
Glad to hear she's on the road to recovery  - all's well  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:24 pm »
Good to hear. So is that what the vet said?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:01:02 am »
The vet suspected the heat and the move. By the time he came which was late afternoon she was up, eating and drinking. (Felt slightly foolish) but she really did give us a scare. Looking back on it now she looked like she had a huge headache as she wanted to just close her eyes and the bright sunshine seem to affect her too.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:46 am »
Pigs can be like that - bit like having a car with an annoying electrical fault, but when you take it to the garage, everything is fine!
Always worth checking, though, just for peace of mind. Glad all is okay.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:07 am »
So pleased she has recovered.  :D

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:31 pm »
As the thread states Ruby had quite a start to the week. It didn't stop there..... It has been so hot here we put up extra shade using tarpaulin - did Rubes and Harry go under there - no! However this afternoon when checking the pigs I noticed they were using it instead of going in the arc as they usually do - at that moment the wind came up and the next thing that happened was a mini tornado swept through their paddock through the door of the arc and lifted it off the ground. It spun in the air and landed with an almighty crash. :o Rubes and Harry just looked on. Perhaps they need to be renamed Dorothy and Toto.  :D. Joking aside relief they were not inside the arc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS