Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglet scratching hair out  (Read 1815 times)

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
Piglet scratching hair out
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:47:28 am »
My sister bought two GOS piglets (12 weeks old) and they were placed in a stable for 2 days until their ark and fencing were complete. Unfortunately she put them in with some old and new straw. I think the old straw may have dust mites causing one of the piglets to scratch until its ears were raw - as soon as I noticed I called the vet out who gave both piglets a jag of dectomax - unfortunately I wasnt about when the vet showed up to ask questions. They are now outside and seem very happy however the one is still losing a slight amount of hair on her side. Her ears have not got any worse and the areas which were almost raw looking have healed slightly. Can anyone advise?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Piglet scratching hair out
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:00:43 am »
Shes probably just scratching out the residues of the mites/fleas, the Dectomax will take effect soon. Also as the weather has got warmer my GOS are losing their winter coats so this could be a factor too especailly if they've been inside. If she scratches so much she breaks the skin put some antispetic cream on but most of the time it just looks red and isn't anything to worry about. Some pigs just love a good scratch. We even have a solitary fence post in one of the paddocks on purpose so they can have a good old rub.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:35 am »
Pigs dont need to sc ratch unelss they have an infestation of insects  living on them   Mange lives in their  ears and get around on the body cause the pig to scratch due to the movement and biting of the insect.  Ivermectin injection fixes the problem.   But if it is in the bedding the bedding needs to be burnt and the hut sprayed out thoroughly

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
We moved them away from the pen with the bad bedding as soon as we realised the problem. Can there be a transfer between the two pigs because this doesnt seem to have affected the other piglet? When you say sprayed out, just with water?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 11:42:41 am »
A ggod disinfectant - you can get sachets of Vikron from the ag merchants for a couple of quid. Make sure you thoroughly rinse afterwards and alllow to dry out completely before returning new bedding and pigs.
hth
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS