Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Straw - what kind is best for pigs please??  (Read 5172 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Straw - what kind is best for pigs please??
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:24 am »
Hi

I am a new smallholder, am getting pigs and want to know what type of straw is best to use? I have seen wheat straw, oat straw etc for sale .. is there a difference and what price should I pay for a bale please?

Thanks
Amanda

:pig:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Straw - what kind is best for pigs please??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:39:30 am »
Hiya,   

Personally I prefer to use Barley Straw cos they LOVE to eat it too  ;D    I've used Oat straw this year - more expensive but it lasts a long time.  Wheat straw is absolutely fine too, but I find it disintegrates quicker.     There's been no Barley straw around these parts the whole winter due to the dry summer last year ;D.      You can use anything really - you just find out for yourself which your pigs prefer (if they're given a choice) and which you prefer to keep/handle/store/....and of course, cost.

M
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »
Just buy and try is best. Wheat is normally the cheapest(unless its all changed since I left the UK), so that is what most commercial farmers go for. Never used oat straw. Is that similar to Barley straw? Nice and bouncey! The only time you need to be concerned about the length of the straw is for sows farrowing, as it needs to be chopped shorter. And stay away from any mouldy stuff , as its a no no. :wave:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:08:56 pm by Stevie G »

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »
Hi, I use barley straw. When I ran out last year I got a few bales of wheat straw and can agreed with Blinkers.
Don't know about oat straw & I use sawdust for farrowing.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »
Hi, I use barley straw. When I ran out last year I got a few bales of wheat straw and can agreed with Blinkers.
Don't know about oat straw & I use sawdust for farrowing.

Have occassionlly had Barley straw and when I did I keep it for the farrowing as its beautiful stuff, but its always more costly, so is a luxury to have commercially, especially in the amounts we use. :wave:

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »
Another reason we use barley straw is that we also feed it to our cows. It's practical, 'cos though I know the difference it would just confuse my helpers. 

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:57 pm »
wheat, barley and oats are all feeding and bedding combined,  :wave:

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »
Hello again and thank you to all who kindly replied - much appreciated and most helpful - thanks again !  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS