Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Artificial Insemination  (Read 10378 times)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Artificial Insemination
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »
stevie G where are you comming from eh!!!!!!
there was no comment in my post to you  so why infer that i am
there are some on hear the last time they cracked a smile was when the midwife skelped there buttocks :o :o :o
get real and stop thinking that there are subliminal messages  :wave: :wave:

I realised after that you were talking about the difference between natural and Artificial, not  outdooor and intensive farming.
Never heard it called "turkey basting" before.
Just ignore what I've said if you already haven't. :wave:
My mistake once again.

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:43 pm »
I have been giving training to smallholders in using AI for the last year.

It works well if you read the signs of you sow or gilt.

I have seen good success rates without boars - catching on first time and numbers in excess of 10 per litter.  I am training on this subject in June in the west mids area see ADAS training days - altenatively if you would like my ppt on this then please let me know and I will send it to you.

Good luck! 

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:49 pm »
Hi Mrs Pig - would love a copy of the ppt. Thanks in advance. :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:03 am »
if you would like my ppt on this then please let me know and I will send it to you.

Yes please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:37 am »
I read the french article and see they say a boar is unnecessary, but I and no commercial farmers would ever AI without a boar infront of the sow. The sight, sound and smell of a boar is very important in making AI work at its very best.
I suppose the trouble for a smallholder is that if you are going to need a boar then you might as well use it to serve your sows, hence there would be no point in the extra cost of AI and doing it.
There used to be a product called "Boar Mate" that could be squirted at a gilt/sow to imitate the boar smell(I have heard in some countries that it is not permitted before an arguement erupts and am unsure of UK legislation on this product and have rarely used it, and when I did, as with feed-back, it was a long time ago. In the 1980's I think).
Can this product or any other still be used as a replacement for a boar??????????
What were your litter sizes like??? Did you only AI them once or twice(am and am or pm and pm, etc.,)?
AI should also not be squeeze in but should be sucked in by the sow if the process is being done correctly, so did you have to suck or squeeze the AI in???

I used Boar Mate when I A.I.'d my gilt - in the field. I'm really not sure how effective it was, as we were all first timers  :)

But one thing I did find after using it was that female dogs found me irresistable  ;D

I must say I decided that A.I. wasn't for me, got a boar & then found my gilt was in pig  ::) I hadn't even tried my other gilt at this point.

I would use it again, especially now there's a new bloodline at Deerpark. I'm not sure if I would A.I. a gilt again..........though I might just change my mind................

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »
well it is a mater of preference the real deal V turkey baster

No its not Robert its about getting the best genetics you possibly can at the cheapest price.

Stimulation is also a very important part! :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 01:02:13 pm »
there must be nothing going on in oz today for Stevie to trawl this back up
at one time you could argue the best genetics line        but i doubt that is relevent you have to have the best genetics on both sides to advance the breeding further
stimulation          i have seen a complete lack of it many times the boar or sow just getting unloaded and nailed  wham bam to late to complain mam :farmer:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 01:50:09 pm »
there must be nothing going on in oz today for Stevie to trawl this back up
at one time you could argue the best genetics line        but i doubt that is relevent you have to have the best genetics on both sides to advance the breeding further
stimulation          i have seen a complete lack of it many times the boar or sow just getting unloaded and nailed  wham bam to late to complain mam :farmer:

If only all AI was that easy.
No such luck! ::)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 10:49:45 am »
We used AI on our Tamworth and Saddleback maiden gilts this year with semen from Deerpark, and it worked first time for both of them - both had litters of 10, no deaths or stillbirths.    For each gilt we used the three doses, am/pm/am, or pm/am/pm, depending on when they first responded to back pressure AND a single spray of Boarmate.  It is absolutely brilliant - when they are ready they will stand like a frozen statue for 10 minutes.   If they are not ready they either ignore the spray or get faintly annoyed.   The key thing as far as I am concerned is to know exactly what to expect, and what day, by closely recording all the miniscule signs of change in your pig's vulva three weeks earlier.   With a black skinned pig the changes in the vulva when oestrus is happening are much less obvious, but they are there if you check very regularly, at least twice a day.  Then you should get the timing right, which is critical, and an awful nuisance if you think they will be ready on a Monday morning.   Do you order from Deerpark on Friday, and possibly get it a bit too early on Saturday, or order on Monday, and possibly get it too late on Tuesday?    Deepark, by the way, are 100% efficient about despatch - even if you ask for some as late as midday it will definitely be sent out that same day and arrive without fail early the following morning.   Good luck anyway - Tamsaddle

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »
Then you should get the timing right, which is critical, and an awful nuisance if you think they will be ready on a Monday morning.   Do you order from Deerpark on Friday, and possibly get it a bit too early on Saturday, or order on Monday, and possibly get it too late on Tuesday?    Deepark, by the way, are 100% efficient about despatch - even if you ask for some as late as midday it will definitely be sent out that same day and arrive without fail early the following morning.   Good luck anyway - Tamsaddle

When I was expecting Meg to be standing on Bank Holiday Monday  ::), Deerpark said they'd post the semen on Thursday, so I would definitely have it before I needed it, and that it would keep without harm for up to a week.

Sadly they did not tell me that I should keep it on the cool side of room temperature, and absolutely not refrigerated, so I just popped the whole box in the fridge when it arrived, and left it there until I needed it.  Needless to say that insemination failed completely, but I got her the next time.  (And yes, this was May, so it was Bank Holiday again!)

Moral - order in plenty of time, it'll keep for up to a week, but do not put the box / bottles in the fridge!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
Our local vets run day courses on fertility and AI maybe worth looking into.  We used to AI all out horses and it was far less hassle than doing it the natural way!

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »
Then you should get the timing right, which is critical, and an awful nuisance if you think they will be ready on a Monday morning.   Do you order from Deerpark on Friday, and possibly get it a bit too early on Saturday, or order on Monday, and possibly get it too late on Tuesday?    Deepark, by the way, are 100% efficient about despatch - even if you ask for some as late as midday it will definitely be sent out that same day and arrive without fail early the following morning.   Good luck anyway - Tamsaddle

When I was expecting Meg to be standing on Bank Holiday Monday  ::), Deerpark said they'd post the semen on Thursday, so I would definitely have it before I needed it, and that it would keep without harm for up to a week.

Sadly they did not tell me that I should keep it on the cool side of room temperature, and absolutely not refrigerated, so I just popped the whole box in the fridge when it arrived, and left it there until I needed it.  Needless to say that insemination failed completely, but I got her the next time.  (And yes, this was May, so it was Bank Holiday again!)

Moral - order in plenty of time, it'll keep for up to a week, but do not put the box / bottles in the fridge!

AI semen should be stored at 17 degrees C and rocked ever so gently(like a baby) and turned over atleast once a day to ensure the diluent(nutrients) that feeds the seamen are evenly spread to ensure longer life. Room temperature is too high and makes the seamen hyper active causing it to us up all the nutrient and once that happens they die.

A special box for its storeage can be purchased for this purpose. And for the box to function at its best it would be best to keep this box at room temperature. :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »
AI semen should be stored at 17 degrees C and rocked ever so gently(like a baby) and turned over atleast once a day to ensure the diluent(nutrients) that feeds the seamen are evenly spread to ensure longer life. Room temperature is too high and makes the seamen hyper active causing it to us up all the nutrient and once that happens they die.

A special box for its storeage can be purchased for this purpose. And for the box to function at its best it would be best to keep this box at room temperature. :wave:

This made me laugh, Stevie G.  I don't know where you are but I do know you are certainly not in north Cumbria.   :D  We haven't had temperatures as high 17 C at all all year!  (Well maybe an hour or two, twice or perhaps thrice, in the full sun and sheltered from the wind.)

But yes, the semen from Deerpark comes in such a box and they say to store it in a cool but not cold room - not in your living room with the wood stove going and not in the fridge. 

I didn't know about turning it (like incubating eggs, eh?  :D) - I'll do that next time.

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »
it is quite obvious that pig seamen differs from bovine seamen  the bovine seamen is stored in flasks that contain liquid nitrogen any thoughts on this one     or maybe i am missing something here :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 04:34:11 pm »
it is quite obvious that pig seamen differs from bovine seamen  the bovine seamen is stored in flasks that contain liquid nitrogen any thoughts on this one     or maybe i am missing something here :farmer:
I guess the bovine semen is frozen; Deerpark send fresh porcine semen out.  Their website says they do do frozen as well, for overseas, but I assume fresh is better as they don't ask you your preference.

BTW - I am unable to stop myself grinning like a silly schoolgirl every time anyone spells it 'seamen'.   ;) :D  Sorry!

I was particularly giggly as I read:

... rocked ever so gently(like a baby) and turned over atleast once a day to ensure the diluent(nutrients) that feeds the seamen are evenly spread to ensure longer life. Room temperature is too high and makes the seamen hyper active causing it to us up all the nutrient and once that happens they die.

;) :D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS