Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging - how do people do this?  (Read 5713 times)

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
Ear tagging - how do people do this?
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »
Hiya. Another thread has brought up this question.
All of the weaners I jave bought in were already tagged - had to be obviously so that licences could be filled out (although I suppose they could have used temporary marks)
Two of these weaners are now full grown sows - and have never moved off my holding (but know if I did I'd need to retag with my herdmark)
Another two went off to slaughter at 7 months still with their original breeder tags in. No replacements.
My pedigree boar arrived witha metal tag with his number in but his pedigree tattoo had faded away - so before we could hire him out I retagged him with BPA's permission with my holding number and his pedigree number. He still has his metal tag.
My pedigree saddleback sow had a metal tag when she arrived here - which is now nowhere to be seen :-( but didn't have her pedigree number on her - so now need permission from BPA to retag her too.
Is it just me or does everyone have these complications and how do you all work round it? x

robert waddell

Re: Ear tagging - how do people do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:59 pm »
Hi Leri,
If it is the metal tags I'm thinking of that have been used, they are quite pron to getting caught on something and getting pulled from the ear. I find the best ones which I use is the button tags from Tagmaster. If you have a copy of or can get a copy of your sow's pedigree number you can get the tag re printed from tagmaster with no need to go to the bpa. Has your sow been notched? Pedigree saddlebacks must be notched before they are moved from the premises of birth ??? Please let me know if she is notched and then her ear number can be worked out. HTH

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »
Yes - it's a notch! Just looked at paperwork. Have the number ok. But in that case I won't need to put it on the tag? I was told I had to clear it all with BPA with the GOS boar - find the tagging thing really unclear.
I had to have him double tagged. Is it just pedigree pigs that have to have double tags?
I'll need to do the other two sows really too - as they are both over a year old and so by rights should have my herdmark on them by now? Shame it can't work like it does with cattle and their original ID just follow them.
I have got tags - the round plastic ones and they seem to stay in fine or at least they have on all the other pigs I have so far anyway.
So when you buy tagged stock in - do you retag them with your own herdmark routinely? Replace tags or add your own as well? How does this work with pedigree animals? I may be being a bit thick!! (Very possible!)

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »
if you are confused i think others are confused now as well :wave:
peddigree pigs id either notch,tag or tattoo stays the same the only one that can mark them is the original breeder it does not change on ownership  i may be wrong but if you alter the recocnised pedigree id  it is no longer idetifiable as the original pig unless by DNA testing
tagging is to comply with the current laws :wave:   hth

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:15 pm »
Leri,

Suspect that two ID's are in effect here, the BPA no. and the breeders herd no.

Notching on saddleback is the pedigree ID (equiv is a tatoo on GOS)- the alternative BPA ID is two tags, but these would only be needed if the breeder elected not to notch.  So if she is notched, then the tag would probaly not be related to BPA ID, but rather with a herd no. so that she was legal under Defra to be moved over a year old.

Therefore check you BPA paperwork and BPA website on notches.  If she has notches that match the BPA paperwork, then you should be fine.  Next check the AML2 that came with her.  This will probaly say metal ear tag herd no. AB1234 which would confirm that she moved with a tag unrelated to the BPA pedigree.  As Lillian says, pedigree BPA tags are usualy (though not always) plastic, not metal. Metal are typically used for slaughter or herd. no.  Finally you should be able to confirm this with the person you bought her from.

From what you say, I would take an evens bet that the tag was just herd. no.

As to your main point - yes the lavbelling of pigs for managemnt, BPA and legality creates a minefield which i still struggle to explain in simple terms.  It is very cionfusing !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:35 am »
Could someone just explain to me like i'm thick (cos after reading this I think i must be) what they do when they buy in new pigs as far as tagging goes. So say you've just bought in a couple of new weaners (non pedigree) that are tagged with breeders herd number? A breeding gilt (pedigree with a notch) and breeders herd number on tag. And a breeding pedigree boar whose tattoo has faded and also has the breeders herd number - but not the person you bought him off's herd number.

And then if any were to go to leave your holding temporarily or go to slaughter.

Thanks

Liquidator

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Dornoch, Sutherland, Highlands
  • It's a Landrover thing, you wouldn't understand :)
    • Ospisdale Herd of Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:36:57 am »
I would say that providing the pig had an identifiable mark or tag that can be used on the necessary paperwork when either moving or taking to the slaughterhouse, that's all you need. It doesn't matter that it's not your own mark, providing they are marked. It's different if you are breeding for showing, as these need to be tattooed.

I tag all my piglets at 6 weeks. My pedigree Old Spots are double tagged and birth notified with the BPA but my crossed saddlebacks are single tagged for identification only.

:pig:
You gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »
Leri
Your situation as i see it
Weaners bought in with breeders plastic tags are fine, they will only need to have those changed on your AML when they go to slaughter on metal tags e.g plastic GHJ223 changed to Metal UKGH1234
Your notched pedigree saddleback will always be identifiable by her notches but if you showed her or sent her for sow B&B she would travel on her plastic tag ABC123 as this identifies her for movement purposes.
Your boar with the faded tattoo will have a ref on his pedigree sheet XYZ123 so you could re-tag him with this or if he already has the breeders tag thats fine. He doesn't need any ref to the person you bought him off as he will always move on his tag number.
You don't change your passport number every time you move and neither do pigs.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »
Along the same line ...

I am having problems tagging our KKs - was going to do our eldest gilt ready to take her to see her boyfriend & "practised" on some cardboard with a spare herd tag, brand new taggers - couldn't get the things to punch the card  ???

Male & female parts of tag seem to line-up ok & have managed to click a pair together not using the cardboard - but if it's not gonna go through the card, it's not gonna go through the ear  ???

Any ideas ...
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
check that the tag has a sharp metal or plastic point on it - occasionally you get dud tags that won't go through - however, cardboard - although not as thick as a sows ear is much more dense and will almost certainly stop the tag from punching through.

I have tagge thousands of adult sows with ordinary tags and 9/10 they go through fine.  however, you do have to do it with conviction and be quite strong.  wait until your sow has her head down and is eating, take the ear, find an area between the main ligaments that is softish thread the taggers carefully as far in the ear as you can so it is central to the ear ( KK only have small ears so you should be fine) and then press dwon hard.  Avoid the outer edges as this will tear away to easy and avoid the area too close the head as this will just cause irritation.   

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:45 am »
It doesn't matter that it's not your own mark, providing they are marked. It's different if you are breeding for showing, as these need to be tattooed.

If your pigs are going to slaughter you must have YOUR HERD NUMBER ON THEM.  Either in a tag or a slap mark on each shoulder.

It is a legal requirement that your the holding number is on your pigs at slaughter - no one elses
.[/color]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:59:02 am by Mrs pig »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS