Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?  (Read 30587 times)

robert waddell

Re: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 05:13:00 pm »
i should also have said that the tamworths and the hamlops(white ears) are tattooed as well the tags are for easy reading and ID for us
now on another post i have said that the tattoo ink fades and others have said the same BUT THE PIN HOLES ARE THERE
many a time i had arguments with the animal health guy(selling cattle that were tattooed) they eventually left us alone

i should also say the last time we had a paint marked pig (at slaughter) was 280 pigs ago
the hampshires are notched with tags as well  :wave: :wave: :wave:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »
Always best to check with the abattoir that you are going to use.

The one I use will only accept pigs that have a metal eartag with the correct herd number on. 

Mine are all tagged with good quality plastic eartags for identification, but my abattoir still require a metal tag for slaughter.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
the scalding process is supposed to remove the plastic tags our last pig that came back from the abattoir still had the tag in the ear(plastic) :pig:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »
Like I said the stuff I have written down is what I was told were the rules. Why would he specifically tell me that there was no need to re tag the ones under one year old? So tell me what you do when you buy a weaner in that's already tagged? You tag it again? Rather than just note down it's ID number? With cattle they just keep their same tag - seems cruel that pigs would have to keep having a new one - for instance am thinking of selling one of my sows - so she was tagged at 8 weeks - then I had to put my number on her and then when sold they's have to tag her again - is that what you're saying ?

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »
leri why are you double tagging and tripple tagging with different ID or are they al the same ID ???? :wave:

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »
Hi
For what its worth, I have a big bag of writr on plastic flappy type ear tags, I write our herd number on them, and tag them a couple of days before slaughter.  The slaughterhouse are fine with that, usually the pigs ears come back with the readable plastic tags intact!

Regards
Jason.

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 07:22:31 pm »
Let's try and clear this one up !!  The following clarifies Slaughter only, other movements come under the same rules, but I won't cover here.
In England you come under the Pigs Records, Identification and Movement Order 2007, known as PRIMO 2007
In Wales you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) (Wales) Order 2008 (PRIMO 2008)
In Scotland you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1995 (PRIMO 1995)
In England and Wales, a pig moving to slaughter comes under part 3 regulation 7 which states
7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a)an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or.
(b)a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”).
Regulation 6(c) states that
(2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder.
There is an exemption which allows temporary paint marks for under 1 year old, but not to slaughter.
In Scotland, the 1995 regulation states under regulation 5
(3) It shall not be lawful to move a pig between holdings in Great Britain unless before the movement commences it is marked either—
(a)with an identification mark which complies with the preceding paragraphs,[eartag or tattoo] or
(b)with an identification mark which will last at least until the pig reaches its destination and which, either by itself or by reference to a document accompanying the pig during the movement, enables the holding from which the pig was last moved to be identified.
So under English and Welsh legislation, a pig going to slaughter must carry a eartag, tattoo or slapmark of the holding that is sending it.
Under Scottish legislation it can go to slaughter on a temporary paint mark, or a tag, tattoo or slapmark. For tag,  or tatto, this can be one applied by the breeder, any intermediate owner who has tagged or tattoo it, or the holding from which it is being sent
The previous England and Wales legislation (PRIMO 2003) stated under regulation 14
 No person shall move a pig over 12 months old off a holding unless it is marked with—
(a)an identification mark; or
(b)a slapmark that is legible for the life of the pig and throughout the processing of its carcase.

This meant that if it had been tagged, it didn't need tagging again.
Many officials, breeders and farmers are unaware of the change between PRIMO 2003 and 2007, so some breeders will still tag.
OK so that’s the legal side.
On top of this, abattoirs can set their requirements.  I know of none in England that will accept a pig with an ear tattoo, most accept a single tag, or double slapmark.  Some only accept a slapmark (as they can easily identify a live pig without having to get hold of their ears).
In Scotland, I am told that some accept a temporary paintmark, but again many insist on slapmarks or eartags, so that they can easily identify the pigs as they go through then process.  If your abattoir in Scotland does accept paint marks, it is still probably better to tag or tattoo, so you can get traceability.
UK wide, the abattoir does not care one hoot what the number on the tag is, as long as it matches the paperwork – they have no responsibility for tagging or slapmarking, so as long as there is one they don’t care.
So if in England you buy a pig from a breeder and they tag it with their holding no. and you send this into the abattoir without adding you own, the abattoir will not mind, and the likelihood is that it will pass through with no problems.  Since the AML2 accompanying it will be used to identify the sender if there is a problem, it is highly doubtful whether anyone would ever check that the herd no. matches the holding no. unless the paperwork gets lost, in which case they would go back to the breeder, who might have no idea who sent a pig in.  If the breeder tags, and then the sender also tags, this just adds confusion at the abattoir, as they have to check two tags, so preferably buy your weaners without a tag, and add yours or slapmark.  If the breeder has tagged, it is better to slapmark, as most abattoirs will see this and use it.  By the by it is illegal to remove a tag previously applied !
Since Lillian lives in Scotland, she can go to slaughter on a paint mark if the abattoir accepts it, and Leri is right with 2008 for welsh PRIMO.
Leri – Many trading standards, animal welfare and other officialdom simply don’t understand the rules, or keep up to date on changes,  so it is not surprising that whilst yours got the date right, he/she was still quoting 2003 legislation  (which covered England and Walesthen – no welsh assdembly in those days)
For those that have stuck so far, Leri, SfS and Lillian are all correct in parts, as under consistent EU wide regulation we have three laws !!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:41:30 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »
Hi
For what its worth, I have a big bag of with on plastic flappy type ear tags, I write our herd number on them, and tag them a couple of days before slaughter.  The slaughterhouse are fine with that, usually the pigs ears come back with the readable plastic tags intact!

Regards
Jason.

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

Jason, this is abattoir dependant.
Any writing on a tag must under Primo 2007 (you're in england!)
be
"sufficiently heat-resistant that neither the ear tag nor the information printed or stamped on it can be damaged by the processing of the carcase following slaughter"

Many abattoirs won't a) accept plastic tags [don't know if they'll melt], and b) accept tags that are handwritten, [don't know if the ink is permanent].
You should always check what your abattoir is happy with !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »
oaklandspigs, thanks so much for clarifying all the above. Was just about to do it myself!
Amazing/disheartening how many of the various authorities are ignorant of the rules relating to pigs, and consequently the amount of poor/inaccurate information is passed on to new/would-be pig keepers.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 07:11:55 am »
Re Lilian's and subsequent posts re the rules for ear tagging, I suddenly find French bureaucracy so much less frustrating than before reading . 

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:32 am »
Am really confused!
Lillian - the pigs I have bought are already tagged but not with my herd number obviously but with theirs - so assume i have to retag with my number before going to slaughter.
Yesterday delivered two weaners that I have tagged with my number to move them from my holding - the tags have been in a week. The new owner intends removing them and slapmarking them. What's the point?!!! It's cruel and unneccessary - why can't the animals ID stay with them like it does with cows :-(

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 11:09:10 am »
The reason is Traceability in the event of disease outbreak.

Cattle have passports and individual animal tag numbers controlled by the BCMS and so have full traceability.

Currently the only way to provide traceability of a pig is by its Tag or Slapmark, you could argue that the movement form gives this - but it doesnt give physical tie back to an individual pig - as pigs don't have to be individually numbered.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »
Leri i have made a reply to this on your other eartagging topic.
which i hope will explain things a bit better.
As i understand it the tagging everytime they move thing has been dropped as unworkable so forget all about it.
Best Mandy  :pig:

Mel

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 04:22:04 pm »
I am told by my local Abattoir not to have ear tags but slap marks instead,they said they fall off in the processing machinery so I guess we shall have to comply to his wishes.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 05:59:42 pm »
I was going to suggest slap marking, personally find it much easier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS