Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coughing pig  (Read 3734 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Coughing pig
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »
We have 3 GOS x OSB weaners - they are about 14 weeks old now.
All of them were wormed with 1ml of Paramectin when 8 weeks old.
All of the weaners are bright and bouncy, eating and drinking well and thoroughly enjoying rooting around in their paddock  ;D
Unfortunately one of the girls has sporadic coughing fits - dry coughing which will go on for about 10 - 15 secs, then stop and she will continue on as if nothing happened. The coughing seems to happen after she has been lying down/inactive for a bit, but this is not consistent. For eg I only heard her coughing once today and that was just before giving her a evening feed.
She is not losing weight, she is just as active as her sisters and eating as well as the other 2 as well. Her poo looks the same consistency as the other 2, there are no discharges, nasal or otherwise.
I haven't taken her temperature, will do tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what might be going on.
They have straw in their ark. Their paddock is grass etc (quite alot of weed plants eg docks, brambles etc). The ground has been rested since August last year after our previous batch of pigs.
The other 2 are not showing any similar signs of coughing.
Any thoughts? Should I worm them all again?
Thanks
Tish

robert waddell

Re: Coughing pig
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »
coughing        pigs are just as suseptical to dust as we are even small particles going down the wrong way :wave: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »
I agree with Lillian, it's quite normal for mine to have a cough when they get up from sleeping - they're normally buried under the straw  ;)
Don't panic about worming them again, just keep an eye and if any other symptoms develop (runny nose, persistant cough, refusing food and/or water) let us know.
But I suspect, from what you've said, that your pig is fine  :)
HTH
Karen x

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:46 pm »
Lillian, Karen

Many thanks for the reassurance  ;D Tried to take her temp today but she was too bouncy  ;D ;D Any tips how to get a lively piglet to stand still while inserting a rectal thermometer????  ;) ;)
Also didn't hear any coughing at all today.
Will keep an eye on her and the others
 :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »
if she wont let you take her temp she is fine :wave:

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »
Hi,

Im sure all is fine, but coughing can be a sign of worms - especially the threadworm in its early stages on previously used ground - the threadworm eggs and worms can survive in the ground for upto 5 years.

The life cycle

Unlike the other round worms of the intestine the threadworm larvae enter the pig by penetrating the skin or mucous membranes of the mouth and are transported by the blood to the lungs, coughed up and swallowed. They then develop to maturity in the small intestine. The infective larvae can also cross the placenta or be excreted by the colostrum and therefore infect piglets within 24 hours of birth. The prepatent period is from 3-7 days. Infection is uncommon in good dry farrowing houses.

If you do decide to worm then decide on moving them as well - May be worth getting a worm count done if unsure.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS