Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig pen rotation  (Read 3012 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
pig pen rotation
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:48 am »
we have just had the pig pen fenced in stock fencing and the plan is to rotate in this area using electric tape system and seed as they come off so that when they go back on 6 months later they have nice grassed paddock again.  Is this a good management system for them?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: pig pen rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:02 am »
It sounds fine. We rotate ours every 3 months but don't bother reseeding ... out grass has been coming back through fine and thicker than ever! I scattered about some carrot, swede and parnip in the last paddock so I'm looking forward to seeing if they take (I am terrible at growing things!!)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:27 am »
Hi,

Im like a stuck record on this point, but here goes anyway....

To develop a good rotation system (ie to give the ground chance to recover) you need to know if your pigs have a worm burdon or not, and what type of worms they have. Some species of worms can lay dormant in the soil for upto 5 years!

So once you have established your worm position and worming treatments, then you can establish the best rotation and ground rest period for you.

Ask your vet about worm egg counts or do a postal count. I would say who does postal counts, but that would be advertising  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:07 am »
ground has never had pigs on and I will ask the people our sow is coming from if they know her worm count and if not will ask our vet (who is next door) to advise on best course of action

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:52 am »
rotate it with a crop then you can put your animals in and let them consume the crop,  this will give around 6 weeks of feed, depending on how many pigs you put in the pen

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:25:58 pm »
thanks for that and all the other advice - what crop would you suggest?

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »
officially ur supposed to change paddocks every year and not return for 2 years. :wave:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:01:25 pm »
we are keeping pigs for us - do we really have to keep them off land for 2 years?

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:45:21 pm »
thanks for that and all the other advice - what crop would you suggest?
barley hay

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:30 pm »
we are keeping pigs for us - do we really have to keep them off land for 2 years?
thats best practise for, worm management, i think. would depend on ur set up and numbers  :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS