Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: british lops  (Read 4681 times)

princesspiggy

british lops
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:33 pm »
does anyone have any idea why the RBST list British Lops on their website,whilst the BPA dont mention them at all?
also does anyone have any experience of middle whites?

robert waddell

Re: british lops
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »
brittish lops have there own society we also know of a lady that has 2 middle whites that she is selling we have a lop(hot lips)

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »
where are the middle whites? and how old. they are quite distinct, remind me of the old men round here lol!
do they mature at 6 mths also? i presume they must be a bit smaller than a tammie.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:46:53 pm »
about 10 miles from me
just about ready to go to the boar
a good bit smaller than a tammie
there must be some funny old men up your way :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »
there must be some funny old men up your way :wave:
there are !!  ;D ;D :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:53:04 am »
Clarissa Dickson Wright is championing the Lop on BBC2 tonight and Greg Wallace is doing spuds. Hopefully worth a look. As Lillian says; Lops sensibly don't have anything to do with the BPA!
Mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:13:15 am »
i may be wrong but i thought it was the other way round that is why they were the most endangered pig
i have one and like her

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:07:02 pm »
we keep lops and they are beautiful pigs, must watch the programme tonight.  they have moved up from endangered now to vulnerable - the same as middle whites and large black thanks to all the hard work of the British Lop Society and members    :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:12 pm »
Clarissa Dickson Wright is championing the Lop on BBC2 tonight and Greg Wallace is doing spuds. Hopefully worth a look. As Lillian says; Lops sensibly don't have anything to do with the BPA!
 :pig:
will watch that. LW do u know the bloodlines of the middlewhite?
iv been offered some from Rajah-boar bloodlines but was hoping to use deerparks rajah boar. how close is too close?

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:57:32 pm »
could find out
remember that although it is rajah line they could be compleatly unrelated?
if you were registered with the bpa you could go online and trace the bloodlines back of the ones pertinent to you :wave: :wave: :pig: :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »
tried to join bpa last night but my printers not working, im sure iv got a paper copy of application form...somewhere  ;D  ??? ;D
im wondering whether it might be better 2 get a pregnant gilt, rather than a weaner , bearing in mind delilahs circumstances. shes getting antibiotics today then its kill or cure  :o :o il be quite upset if it doesnt work out tho. :'( :'(

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »
buying a weaner is the cheapest way
buying an in pig gilt  or young sow in pig is the quickest way to get going
the two middle whites are of the rajah line but you would need to check the history of the gilts and from memory they should be able to be served
have you definately made your mind up as to what breed you will get? :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
id prefer to buy weaners cos we enjoy them so much and get to know them, but then if delilah doesnt come right, it works out quite expensive cos wev fed her for 14 mths already.
iv hopefully reserved 2 GOS weaners !!! so excited!!! hoping to show them  ;D ;D ;D will be fun if nothing else - and i know nothing about showing pigs  :o :o
but im still interested in middle whites. a pregnant gilt or 2 weaners would interest me. its easier for me to use the deerpark AI rajah boar cos i dont know of any other, so being compatible with that would be helpful. getting different breeds rules out getting a boar for the time being. depends how expensive a pregnant gilt/sow is really. theres gilts and weaners in yorkshire at moment too.
 :D :D :D :love: :pig: :love: :D :D :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS