Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you keep your pigs out at night?  (Read 8772 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Do you keep your pigs out at night?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:17 pm »
Mine too! until they hear you, come running to see what you might have for them. Today Ollie forgot the electric fence and caught her chin on it not nice to hear the cry!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:03 am »
princess a maremma is a lovely big white dug originates from Tuscany if they were guarding our pigs and sheep they would be stinking and black just now :pig: :dog: :wave:
  My dog is nice and white and yes he guards the pigs.  He does not have access to thier  pens only to the lanes ways within the piggery.  As for stinking....dont think so.    They are working dog, not one that sits in the lounge room with you and watches the TV.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 02:50:56 pm »
Blonde, I have always been interested in the Maremma to ward off foxes.   I have a load of questions but will post them on the Working Dogs area.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
Mine are out all year round, even in the snow and ice - apart from farrowing to weaning. We're 800ft up, which is why I chose very hardy Tamworths.

Blonde, I have always loved Maremmas. I'll have one myself one day - even if it does have to get dirty up here! However, judging by the ones I've seen when I've been at Cruft's, I'm guessing the dirt would drop off quite easily. I have three Newfoundland/Bernese/collie crosses with long hair and one of the three has a soft and very fluffy coat which can be covered in mud one minute and clean the next. The other two have coarser, curlier coats and are a lot more difficult to deal with...!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 01:14:33 pm »
The maremma sounds interesting. I'll go look them up. Woudl they protect ducks and fowl too? And what about from mink?
A friend of mine lost a lof of birds to a mink - taking them back to her family.
It wasn't funny - but we did tease his partner that she'd be wearing a mink coat soon ....
As for the pigs - seven porkers of mine are out with a raised up wooden ark - which they spend a lot of the daytime in too!
Two big sows and a boar are in the back of the shed with a big hole in the wall where they can go outside into fenced off area - but spend most of the day in the shed apart from when they want to poo wee or have a drink (usually one trip!) And the saddleback sow and her two piglets are still in another section of the shed but only cos I hav nowhere to keep her outdoors at mo till my porkers go to slaughter.x
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:06:34 am by Leri »

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 01:48:08 pm »
My two ladies were out right through the winter until I brought them into a stable, but that was because we have horrendous mud (clay soil!!!) so I boshed a doorway into the side of the stable out into their pen.  Had I not done done that I would have just concreted around the pig arks about 8 ft either side and fenced internally so they would have a concrete area to go when the mud was really bad.  As it is they live in 'Old Spot Towers', and very happy they are too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS