Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you keep your pigs out at night?  (Read 8773 times)

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
Do you keep your pigs out at night?
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »
Ever since i got my pigs, i've been bringing them in at night, i suppose this is partially because i got them mid winter, and it was freezing!

During the day they are in a large field, with a large pig ark equipped with lots of straw! And during the night they are in the stable, they run back every night!

However, now its warming up, i might start leaving them out. All my other pigs have always stayed out, but as i've had these two from 10 weeks old i just feel like i cant leave them out!

What do you do with your piggies?  ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Do you keep your pigs out at night?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »
We have had ours since they were 10 weeks old. They have a stable and during the day are out and about with the stable door open. We shut the door at night when they are usually out for the count, perhaps a bit over the top!! will probably leave them open in the summer.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »
I shut the top of the stable door too! Think i may be a bit too protective of these two!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »
Just a bit!  ;D ;D
Mine live out 24 x 7 came in to farrow then back out. Nice dry arc with a floor and plenty of straw. They're happy as pigs in whatsit!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
We got our three boys at the beginning of January, at around 11 wks old, and they're lovely.

At night they put themselves to bed in their ark which itself is in a small muddy compound. This is fenced and gated at night. During the day they have the roam of half an acre of garden.

We have foxes coming through in the night but I don't think they're any risk to the pigs and the hens are always shut away at night.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:36:50 am by ambriel »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:38:43 am »
I'm like you, patchy, and bring mine in at night.  They have a pen in the byre which we walk through to get to the cattle shed, so they get lots of attention as we pass by several times during the evening.  They and we like this and I am a bit loathe to keep them out and miss out on my evening chats and cuddles! I expect I will, though, once it really warms up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:07:00 am »
Mine are outside all the time had them since October and they have gone through the worst winter, plenty of straw in the arc and they are fine. If I breed I would bring them in to the stable for farrowing.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:38:53 am »
Mine are outside all the time.  I even farrow in the arks outside. 

A good sturdy floor, off the ground, for all arks and lots of straw, especially in the winter.

Happy pigs  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:24:16 am »
Wow fellas I leave all of my outside, they all have warms shelters, with plenty of straw and plenty of igs in the pens to generate the heat.  As a matter of fact I often go down the piggery at night, (A) to look at the stars above  (B) to check out any sows that may be farrowing (C) to feed my Maremma that keeps the  foxes out of the piggery and (D)  to check on the growers and watch the steam rise from their bodies.  I reckon one day I might just crawl in and go to sleep with them.  Warm.....it is so hot.... unbelievable.   They dont sleep cold at all

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:50:46 am »
I've been very cosy the nights that I've spent with gilts or sows who are due to farrow........Those arks are so comfy and warm in the winter.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56:19 am »
Maremma
whats that?
mine are out 24/7 but have use of a barn/stable. in the summer they sleep in the woods by their own choice.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:11:02 am »
princess a maremma is a lovely big white dug originates from Tuscany if they were guarding our pigs and sheep they would be stinking and black just now :pig: :dog: :wave:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »
Our 3 are out in their paddock with a big ark (raised floor, lots of straw) - they put themselves to bed at night - and quite a few times during the day as well  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 05:19:41 pm »
princess a maremma is a lovely big white dug originates from Tuscany if they were guarding our pigs and sheep they would be stinking and black just now :pig: :dog: :wave:

oh yes, i know what u mean, i had visions of a llama or something in my head!
my gsd is supposed to be white, more like mud-dreadlocks hanging from her belly...and then she wants to sit on the couch. ;D :wave: :wave:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
Our 3 are out in their paddock with a big ark (raised floor, lots of straw) - they put themselves to bed at night - and quite a few times during the day as well  ;D
I'm glad it's not just my boys who like to take power naps during the day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS