Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tattooing  (Read 2701 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Ear Tattooing
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »
I suspect this has already been asked, but can you tell me where you get pigs ears tattooed please

robert waddell

Re: Ear Tattooing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »
supplies for smallholders or any supplier of livestock equipment
remember you cant tattoo pedigree pigs it has to be done by the breeder unless you have breed them yourself

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:40:04 pm »
We are planning on breeding them, i suspect some will go for meat tho, but i am keen to keep the breed going

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »
are they birth nottified and registered with the b p a by the breeder who you bought them from??

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
They all have papers, and they are all registered on BPA

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:12 am »
As Lillian says they should already be tattoed for their breed registration.

If they arrived older than one year, then they should have been eartagged if in England and Wales for Defra regs, or a temporary mark if under 1 year.  In either case, you don't need to add any more ID as long as they stay on your land.

If you are taking for meat, then when you take you will need to eartag with your herd no. Tattoing the ear with herd no. will not meet abattoirs needs, and slapmarking on a Mangalitza is probably not easy enough to see (have not taken any to slaughter so may be acceptable).
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:23:09 am »
We slap marked ours, but wimped out and took them to the abattoir with our slapper where he slapped them for us.  He being more expert had no problems.  It worked but I think he administered a firmer slap than we might have used

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »
Sorry i should have said the 3 we have are for breeding its the piglets i want to tattoo or slap mark if we sell them on as pedigree's, i have ordered the metal tags for if they move off our land or go for slaughter

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS