Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Pig Keepers Association (in case anyone missed it !)  (Read 7816 times)

Re: Scottish Pig Keepers Association (in case anyone missed it !)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:11:48 pm »
Hi,

Good luck with the new association and thanks for the email....we are pleased to support and have filled in the online application form.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:30 pm »
great site, maybe you could promote a pork sales ring or something. the rare breed meat marketing scheme doesnt (or didnt when i asked) come further up north than northumberland. just an idea. well done tho, im gona have to start training mine with abroad now, hope the judges have a sense of humour?
what age do pigs get shown, do they get shown during or after pregnancy or is it just the young gilts? whats the youngest age? and do they need any compulsory jabs/tests prior to the show, like goats do?quite excited now!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:55 pm »
Now that sounds like a good idea PP - rare breeds & organic, free range pork etc anything that would promote their welfare. 

Had to look at the next bit twice - thought you meant training to Scotland was "abroad" realise you mean "a board" - sorry  ::)

I'm interested too about the showing requirements, though I can't see myself exhibiting somehow - showing dogs is exhausting & by the way our KK's rampage around the yard at the moment the only thing that gets their attention is a rattling bucket - imagine doing that in the show ring  :D :D :D guess I'd get an instant ban  ;D

Lillian - great to see you back  :wave:

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:44:46 pm »
Hiya,
We will be doing the pork promoting side of things - currently you're able to be listed in the 'suppliers directory' , but I think we may add an extra page purely for pork producers or have a notice board type page.................leave it with me  ;) There are plenty of plans forming  ;D :yum:

I don't think we'd have a problem with members using the logo (have to double check with the committee ;)) I think in terms of policing it - I would email the logo with their membership number shown to any member who wanted to use it, then we'd be able to check any numbers that were 'suspect' or didn't have permission - but that's just my initial thoughts, will let you know on that one soon.

Showing - Lillian will tell you for certain (or I will after tomorrow when I get my hands on the paperwork) As far as I'm aware the age catagories are 'junior' - which I think is under a year and 'senior' which is everything else. BUT I could be confused (very easily done at the mo !) I'm not sure about in-pig and nursing pigs, it might compromise their health and welfare ? - leave it with me and I'll get a showing requirements page on asap !

As for the actual showing itself  :-\ THAT'S going to be fun  ;D ::) :o
I thought about smearing syrup on the end of my stick to make them follow it  ;) I've been reliably informed that I'll be doing no such thing !  ;D It's all part of the fun (cos that's a big part of why we do it) and a bit of chaos and laughter will certainly mean folk remember seeing pigs lol!

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
WEBSITE HAS BEEN UPDATED  ;D

We now have a guide to training and showing your pig. ;) ;D
There's a 'for sale' notice board for member's use. ;)
And an easy to complete on-line application  ;)

And so much more that I've forgotten  ::) I suppose what I'm trying to say is.......... GO AND HAVE A LOOK, AND IF YOU'RE IN SCOTLAND AND KEEP PIGS - SIGN UP ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oh and incidentally, if you go to 'shows' then 'showing requirements' almost at the bottom of the page is a link to a BPA newsletter with a piece on Lillian, Robert and David Chlad (and a cracking photo ! ;))
Thanks,
Karen

Liquidator

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Dornoch, Sutherland, Highlands
  • It's a Landrover thing, you wouldn't understand :)
    • Ospisdale Herd of Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 10:46:08 am »
Fantastic news, it's about time there was more of a focus on Pig keeping in Scotland.

Now we need someone to start a Scottish Crofting / Smallholding type magazine.

I will be signing up ASAP.
You gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »
Great site, wish I was closer   :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS