Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Pig Keepers Association (in case anyone missed it !)  (Read 7815 times)

HappyHippy

I’m delighted to announce the formation of The Scottish Pig Keepers Association.
http://scottishpigs.co.uk
We have formed with the primary aim of promoting pigs (and pork) in Scotland and making competitive pig classes a regular feature at our agricultural shows once again, after an all too long absence.
We hope to provide support and advice for all pig keepers, whether just starting out or long established.
Please have a look at our website and join us in our campaign.
Look forward to having you on board !
Many thanks,
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Scottish Pig Keepers Association (in case anyone missed it !)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »
Hi Karen  :wave:

Brilliant idea - well done all of you, this will surely prove itself as a great resource to us all - many thanks to you all for your hard work in getting this up & running.

Have already completed the application form  ;D

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »
Yep! I'd better pull my finger out and do likewise.

Actually, I was a bit confused by the membership form. At one point one the website it says that our pigs need to be registered, but then on the form it suggests *we* need to be members of a society.

I've got the pedigree certificates from our supplier/breeder - is that what it means?

Cheers
Gary
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:19:58 pm by ambriel »

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »
Hi Gary,
Sorry, bit of confusion (it's all my fault, too many things going on in my head ::))
To clarify (hopefully) If you pay a membership to the BPA, Kune Kune Society or British Lop Society already, membership to SPKA is free.
If you do not have a paid membership to any of the above, but have registered/unregistered pigs or don't even keep pigs but want to add your support it would be an associate membership at a cost of £10 per year.
Only registered pigs can be shown in competitive classes - so even if you're not a BPA member, you can be an associate member with registered pigs and enter them into a show.
Hope that makes sense ?
I'll try to simplify the wording on the website so that it's a bit clearer - thanks for pointing it out ;)
Take care,
Karen

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:22:33 pm »

Thanks Karen, I was probably being a bit thick but thanks for clarifying things.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:49 pm »
Why can't they be shown if they are not registered? Does that mean all the pig classes have to be recognised by the BPA?

I only ask because we have shows that the goats have to be registered for, but there are other shows (often small agricultural shows) where you do not have to be registered.

Sorry if I am being a bit slow.

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:43 am »
Hi Beth,

They have to be registered (to prove their pedigree) as they'll be getting judged against the breed standard. Just like Crufts for dogs  ;) You need a pedigree certificate to prove that old Delilah is a Gloucestershire Old Spot (for example) and not a cross breed whick looks like a GOS. This is important from the point of view that showing provides a benchmark against which the quality of any particular breed is judged. It ensures that the pigs are being bred 'correctly' which is vital in ensuring the survival and growth of the breed. Unregistered pigs do not count towards numbers held on record by the BPA. We hope, in time (once there's enough intrest and funds to allow for extra penning) to have a seperate class where unregistered/cross breed and pet pigs can be shown.
Hope that makes sense ?
Karen x

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:35:15 am »
Karen, Lillian and Robert - good luck with this venture - hope it's a great success

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:48:27 am »
Thanks Robin  :-*

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:21 am »
Very best wishes
Hope its a success, maybe some of us softie southerners might venture over the border if you get some classes going.
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
That would be wonderful Mandy  ;D
We'll just have to hope that as many shows as possible take us up on the offer of having the pigs in attendance - lots don't seem keen "because of the horses, and don't pigs have lots of diseases ?" ::)  :-\ Hopefully they'll see though that it needn't be a problem - never is at any of the English shows (so I believe)
I'm of the opinion that anything which raises the profile of pigs, farmers and agriculture in general is no bad thing (especially in today's climate) hopefully we will manage to make a difference and bring all the Scottish keepers together  ;) :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:38:44 pm »
Hiya Karen  :wave:

Just wanted to check that you got the membership application through ok yesterday - do we get a confirmation email, membership number or a flashy certificate  ;D or something?

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »
Hiya, yip I got it  ;D
No confirmation emails (not figured out how to set that up yet  ;))
I'll get your names on there tonight and there will be a wee membership card, with number coming your way soon (ish.........) please bear with me in the meantime.
Thanks for your support  :-*

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »
 :wave: That's great, thanks Karen.

We're really looking forward to coming to the show down your way - not sure about entering though our little darlings are far too unruly - spoilt little  :pig:::) though can't wait to see you & yours around the ring  ;).  Obviously need to make Portia's visiting arrangements soon  :love:

Just a thought - how would the SPKA Committee feel about members using the logo in their signature - good for promoting the Association, not sure about the policing of it though ???

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »
mandy indead we are expecting these softie southerners to come to scotland we have a good number lined up already especially if the royal highland come round to our lobbying 4 nights of partying with haggis
PS the alcohol is on you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS