Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Source of sheep hurdles?  (Read 12953 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Source of sheep hurdles?
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »
Anyone know of a good source of sheep hurdles to make a removable feeding/catching pen with? I'm in South Yorkshire so a source close to here would be good- but I suppose an internet source would also be good...

Thanks

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: Source of sheep hurdles?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »
I hunted high and low for second hand sheep hurdles last year,......like gold dust !!!  the best I did was £12.00 each on ebay, I think you need to buy 25 or 30 to get that price.  they are lighter in weight than others sold at £20.00 each, you get what you pay for, but they have been fine for me. you will find them on Ebay, its a scaffolding company who make and sell them.

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »
best place is either a farm sale (called roups up here in NE Scot!) or an agricultural auction. Your local agricultural auctioneers will run them. Not sure who they are, I know theres york auctions but there might be one nearer.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:53 pm »
They are difficult to come by second hand- for new ones modulamb are good (google them- based in Coventry I think, but they deliver) but when we last got hurdles we paid £37 a hurdle and that was 5 years ago (although those were 4ft high hurdles because they were for goats not sheep).

Your best bet for second hand ones is a farm displenishing sale.

Beth

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »
I don't have sheep at present, but I rather lusted after these http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/sheep-lambing   as my BWM lambs always got under my sheep hurdles in order to commit suicide on the cold concrete floor of the barn, and I liked the bucket attachments etc.

Probably just sheep hurdle envy

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:31:12 pm »
However many hurdles you think you may want, double it and add a few more.  They're so useful for all sorts of other things. 

The Solway hurdles were being sold in eBay last week but they are seriously expensive.  I bought lots from the scaffolding firm on eBay and they're fine though I prefer a link pole to tie them together rather than a U-bracket which is always impossible when your'e in a hurry.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 03:01:28 pm »
I make them out of 2x1 wood. For lambing the bottom bit is ply.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:38 am »
Anyone know of a good source of sheep hurdles to make a removable feeding/catching pen with? I'm in South Yorkshire so a source close to here would be good- but I suppose an internet source would also be good...

I got mine secondhand from a private seller on ebay - I had to bid high as not many sellers deliver due to the weight - and it cost me more to have them delivered than the price of the hurdles. Good quality and worth every penny though.

I hunted high and low for second hand sheep hurdles last year,......like gold dust !!!  the best I did was £12.00 each on ebay, I think you need to buy 25 or 30 to get that price.  they are lighter in weight than others sold at £20.00 each, you get what you pay for, but they have been fine for me. you will find them on Ebay, its a scaffolding company who make and sell them.

andy

"Ere - it wasn't you bidding against me was it?   ;D   ;D   ;D

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »
I Hope not ohlala, actually it was a "buy it now" job.

What are you getting up to ohlala any lambs yet?

a
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:12 pm »
up in Scotland (shawburn)there is a family of Gypsies that sell gates hurdles troughs etc etc  and have done for at least 50yrs you can haggle as well there must be the equivalent near you

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:59:34 am »
I Hope not ohlala, actually it was a "buy it now" job.

What are you getting up to ohlala any lambs yet?

a

Keeping a v close eye on them at the mo. As you know it's my first time so I'm not really sure what stage they are at. Meant to be end Feb mid March according to seller (he told me it could be in the trailer prior to my picking them up) and I think I have a couple of weeks between them but in general a ewe doesn't look the same two weeks later than another did two weeks ago...

I'm not sure whether to bring them in or let them lamb in the field - don't want them in any longer than necessary as they have a nice fresh field with a new field shelter which I finished a couple of weeks ago.

Will start up new thread as soon as I have some news.

(Apol for off topic reply fieldfare)
:sheep:  :)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:39:02 am »
Get the Sheep for Smallholder's book and make the hurdles in there. Can make them cheaper with roofing batton

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS