Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding - I think I've lost my confidence!! Long!  (Read 7859 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Breeding - I think I've lost my confidence!! Long!
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:06 am »
Ummm ... My brain has gone blank and I'm panicking, I probably just need a slap in the face!  ::) We sent off our third batch of pigs before xmas (4 Cornish Blacks and 2 Old Spots). Our last girl is going off for Bacon next week which leaves us with our two breeding sows (1CB, 1GOS). They're wormed etc up to date and we need to start thinking about bringing the boar in (Cornish Black). The girls are 16 months old and I've put a lot of effort into making sure they'll friendly and relaxed with both myself and my otherhalf.

We have 4 pig paddocks. I've made the OH build two new arks both with bars across one side to help prevent squishing and we also have a 11x14' stable away from the horses where it is nice and quiet if we need to bring them in. Our paddocks are fenced with 20mm electric wire (2 strands).

I have fresh paddocks that have not seen any livestock for the past 2 years and have been well maintained.

I was bought up sheep and dairy farming, I'm used to have my arm up to my armpit in slimy surroundings and would confidently say that I could still assist delivering calves or lambs these days. I'm just a bit scared!!

Does it mean we're not ready or is it cold feet? Subsequently I have questions before Thor (the boar!) comes to stay. Read on if you have time!!

- Should the boar go straight in with them or be in a separate paddock?
- If seperate paddock how far from sows?
- How long should the boar stay or will the sows tell me?!
- Will electric fence keep them in or do I need to make provisions?!
- Shouls he go in with both of them or one at a time?
- Should the piglets be confined to the creep area as soon as they are born for 20 minutes or is this not best practise (there seems to be loads of differing opinions!)
- Lots of other questions really about how to get the piglets used to the creep area etc.
- I have milk formula etc just in case ... do I need any kind of vaccinations? (I am competant in administering)
- How long if they farrow indoors, should we leave it before they are taken outside?

I hope someone can either be honest and say you don;t think we are ready or that I am just being silly and help with some experiences or other advice!

Thanks in advance!! :pig: :pig:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Breeding - I think I've lost my confidence!! Long!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:58 am »
Ready !!!   Are you kidding, sounds like you've got the perfect set up  ;)

Answers from my aspect:

If the boar is to cover both sows - and the sows are living together at the moment, then yes just put him straight in. I've never had a problem with any fighting where a boar and sows are concerned. 

Leave him in for as long as you feel its necessary and you're reasonably confident they are in-pig.  I usually leave mine together for about 6 weeks, unless something is still showing signs of returning for service (very rare!)

If the boar is electric fence trained too - no worries.

We farrow indoors too and I put the piglets into the creep area under a low lamp once they all had their first feeds.  They keep coming out to start with, but as long as I have the lamp low enough and warm enough, it doesn't take long for them to discover this is a dead good camp to stay in.

Turning out depends on weather, but generally anytime from about 10 days onwards.

You'll be absolutely fine....its just cold feet

HTH
M
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:50 am »
Oh god, I'm feeling nervous - anyone would think it's me having all the babies!!!

Thanks Blinkers, that nakes me feel a little better, I think it's just owrry in case something goes wrong. If I wasn't able to deal with it for any reaosn I'd be terrible for blaming myself.

My vets killed themselves laughing when I called them earlier when I told him that I would be expecting some piglets some time around July and to make sure he was on call all night (I was calling to as about vaccinations for dogs, horses and pigs)!!

By chance it was the same vet I called and told him to get here quick on boxing day because Violet looked like she was going to die (shaking and being sick and tottering around). By the time he got there I have given her a tummy massage and she had done a big fart, it turned out to be too much greed and a touch of wind  :-[. £130 that cost me!!! Must stop worrying so much!!  ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
 The girls are 16 months old and I've put a lot of effort into making sure they'll friendly and relaxed with both myself and my otherhalf.
Are these first time breeders ? You call them sow's but at 16 months (unless they've had 2 litters) I'd call them gilts. Sorry - not nit picking, just want to be sure. First timers sometimes need a bit more reassurance, so it's good that you're hands on with them. Just remember though, no matter how chilled out they are now - it's a whole different matter when piglets come along. The mothering instinct kicks in and you've just got to watch and be careful - for your safety.

I'm just a bit scared!!
Don't be !  :) It would be more of a concern if you weren't thinking it all through, you sound really clued up, it just takes time to get the confidence.

- Should the boar go straight in with them or be in a separate paddock?
- If seperate paddock how far from sows?

I'd put him straight in too (providing you're happy with his health/disease status) otherwise you ight find he puts himself in with them - taking all your lovely fencing with him :o They're quite determined when they get a whiff of girlies ;D

- How long should the boar stay or will the sows tell me?!

Agree with Blinkers - around 6 weeks. Put him in just before they start to come into season, watch closely (not that you're likely to see the actual act) you may see signs of semen dripping from their back ends. Note the date and then look for the same signs of season/service three weeks after. No sign of either usually means a result !

- Will electric fence keep them in or do I need to make provisions?!

He'll be too busy to notice the fencing ;) ;D But if he's used to electric fencing all should be well.

- Shouls he go in with both of them or one at a time?

Both, providing they're used to sharing.

- Should the piglets be confined to the creep area as soon as they are born for 20 minutes or is this not best practise (there seems to be loads of differing opinions!)

I don't, but it's personal choice - if you're there (and you really should be)you can make the call then.
- Lots of other questions really about how to get the piglets used to the creep area etc.
- I have milk formula etc just in case ... do I need any kind of vaccinations? (I am competant in administering)
Erysepelas (sp?) if you're in a high risk area, but other than that - no.

- How long if they farrow indoors, should we leave it before they are taken outside?

Depends on the weather, serving round about now will make for summer piglets, so they should be fine from day 1, providing all goes well at farrowing. I'd probably leave it to day 2 or 3 to be certain they're all okay.

I think you'll be fine - no matter how prepared you feel - you'll never know for sure until you've done it - you've raised weaners a few times and have a good level of general animal husbandry by the sound of it. Go for it !
Good luck and we'll all be here to help and advise when the time comes ;)
Karen x

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:04:13 pm »
Was about to post a reply simply saying "what Loosey said!" when HH has also come on and added to the valuable advice.

So rather than repeat, apply the following list

1. Stop panicking
2. Nature has got this thing sorted - she's been at it a while

Personally given a choice I would take them to the stable to farrow, if you are not sure of dates (ie don't see the matings), you could quite easily create two 11*7 areas by putting 4ft high hurdle, or ply partition in.  Reason for farrowing in the stable is that you can stand up in it, in the dry and warm, and can hopefully rig up a light if needed.  With an ark, you will be outsdie in the rain peering in with a torch whilst she has them with her bum at the far end, so you have no idea what is going on!  Having said that lots of people farrow outside in arks, with no problems.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:08 pm »
Sorry Karen, yes they are gilts! :-[ They have been with us from 8 weeks but are unrelated.

I guess one thing I'm worried about is; when they farrow, will I have a problem taking one away from the other for the birth? I suppose the logistics are worrying me more than anything! I'm happy enough with both of their temperaments that I don't see a problem with them living together, piglets and all (although I know their personalities may change once they've had the tiny ones) but how long before I can do that? And won't Violet get lonely if, for example, Daisy is ready to farrow before her?

I will most certainly be there! I will be booking the entire week off of work and the horses cctv camera will be hooked up well out the way of sharp teeth!

Erysepelas (sp?) ... I wouldn't possibly know how to tell if I'm in a high risk area?! We don't know anybody close by who keeps pigs! ???

Thanks so much for all your help so far! :) :bouquet:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »

Personally given a choice I would take them to the stable to farrow, if you are not sure of dates (ie don't see the matings), you could quite easily create two 11*7 areas by putting 4ft high hurdle, or ply partition in.  Reason for farrowing in the stable is that you can stand up in it, in the dry and warm, and can hopefully rig up a light if needed.  With an ark, you will be outsdie in the rain peering in with a torch whilst she has them with her bum at the far end, so you have no idea what is going on!  Having said that lots of people farrow outside in arks, with no problems.

I'd much rather use the stable! We already have full electrics in there and would save the hassle of running cables for heat lamps as there are plug sockets in the outhouse next door. I didn't even think of splitting the stable in two (piglet brain clearly!) but do they not tend to want to get away to give birth or will it just not matter when the time is right?!

I have plenty of sheep hurdles and OSB board we can make a partition out of. I could even put them in individual stables next door to each other as the horses will be out by then (horses used to pigs free ranging in yard at weekends and happy to touch noses so smell shouldn't be a problem and will always be disinfected prior to next winter anyway, plus these stables are 12x17' so plenty of room for my OH to run away if he decides to get involved!) Although see last post about concern regarding lonliness (probably worrying too much again!!)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »
Agree with all who have gone before.
We separate our gilts/sows a week before they're due to give them time to settle into new surroundings and so long as they can hear/see other pigs they're fine, too busy building nests and sorting out their straw!
We don't jab for erisipelas but we worm when we separate them (use a jab rather than pellets as this gives greater protection to the newborn piglets).
As regards having the boar to visit if you want both litters at the same time by all means put him in with both of them, if you need to stagger your litters you'll need him to 'doink' them separately to allow a gap.
You've plenty of time to read up and get over your anxiety.
Check Starting out articles on the GOS website, the latest one is about farrowing and relates to my experiences, Not everyone farrowing is the same as you have no doubt been reading on here.
HTH and fingers crossed.
Mandy :pig:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:10:23 pm »
Just to echo FF, we put our sows into the farrowing sheds about 10 days before due date.  They are within sound and smell of other pigs (we have 3 farrowing bays next to each other), and are quite happy.  This also gives you a chance to feed them up (piglets put on the most growth in the last 10 days), we double rations for that period, and you know that each sow is getting their fare share.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »
Yes, seperate a couple of weeks before - the girls won't get lonely ! You'll be able to give them more individual attention if you want and they'll get preoccupied with nesting and sorting out their maternity suites to suit them.
I'm with everyone else on bringing them in too, easier and safer for you if you have to get involved (or vets)
HTH
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
Thank you all so much! Right ... they will be with the boar together, meaning that they should be due within a couple of weeks of each other. I will bring them both in together into my big stables (these look out onto their field so eays to get them in there, have full electrics inside and out and have a half height partition wall so they will know the other is there.) I will just have to set up a safe area for the piglets ad make sure the gaps under the door are made safe to avoid escapee's!!

After I bring them in, I take it I can let them out for a while each day? Maybe just half an hour? Daisy really enjoys her walk up the drive to the post box with me in the evenings! :-[ Or is it better that they rest?

I will ask the vet about worming injections. They will be due worming in May (when hopefully they will be pregnant), should I do that orally and then do again before farrowing or is that not the best way?

Also (I'd like to say last question but we all know it won't be!), a lot of websites are saying the creep area should be shavings, this isn't a problem as I bed my horses on shavings but I'd worry about them getting it in their eyes/mouth ??

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:38 pm »
I used straw with my last lot - but as was pointed out to me by a really experienced breeder (cheers Lillian ;)) - it is possible that they'll get their legs tangled in the straw and potentially get trapped/squished, so shavings are a much safer option.
It'll be fine to let them out for a wee while every day before they farrow - it'll keep them fit and happy.
The usual is to dose them with wormer a couple of weeks before they farrow (I do mine when I bring her in) so depending on when they're due, just delay the May dose.
HTH
Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »
I just second what everyone else has said, plus relax and enjoy the piglets.  If you can organise summer births so much the better as this gives longer evenings to stand and stare and oooooo and ahhhhhhh.  Sounds like you have everything under control.  Enjoy.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »
My vets killed themselves laughing when I called them earlier when I told him that I would be expecting some piglets some time around July and to make sure he was on call all night (I was calling to as about vaccinations for dogs, horses and pigs)!!

By chance it was the same vet I called and told him to get here quick on boxing day because Violet looked like she was going to die (shaking and being sick and tottering around). By the time he got there I have given her a tummy massage and she had done a big fart, it turned out to be too much greed and a touch of wind  :-[. £130 that cost me!!! Must stop worrying so much!!  ::)

sorry, but I really did laugh out loud at that!
  sounds like you're going to be absolutely fine - plenty of planning and organising gone on already.
good luck anyway  :)
Little Blue

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:32:33 am »
Thanks guys! I went home last night and bored my OH to bits telling him all about my birthing plans and maternity ward interior design idea's! Romance is certainly not dead in our house! I also told the horses that there'd best not be any foot abcesses or the like at that time as their bedrooms are in use!

Thank you very much, I feel lots better! ;D :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS