Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune questions and For Sale  (Read 2106 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Kune Kune questions and For Sale
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »
Hi all

Today i have been asked to ID 2 pigs!!

It turns out that they are Kune Kune's,Guilts the owner has been led to believe pedigree but as he bought these last friday is still waiting on paperwork.

The pigs have been bought for a working farm with people with learning disabilities and the new owners think that they are too big and have to go to a new home,he is wanting some weaners but not just yet,fences to build etc

The whole thing has just been very rushed in my opinion!

No pigkeeping knowledge at all.....

Firstly how do or can i trace these pigs by their ear tag? the BPA website doesnt seem to list this breed???

Secondly they are FOR SALE !!!

So anyone interested please get in touch with me

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kune questions and For Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:48:36 pm »
Hiya,
I've got KK's myslef so not interested in buying them - but I can help with the ID question.
If you contact David Lacon dgelacon@btinternet.com and give him the tag numbers he should be able to tell you all you need to know. Kune Kune's don't come under the BPA as they're not a native breed. One thing to check is whether they are on the breeding register or indeed eligible for breeding - most KK's ARE registered, but not all make the grade for breeding. Usually unless they have 2 piri's they're not considered good enough to breed from.
As for them being too big  ::) KK's (as you probably know) are the SMALLEST pig breed recognised in the UK, so if he thinks these are too big I'd hate to see what he'd make of other breeds :o I think, especially if he's working with learning disabled people that KK's would be the ideal choice due to their placid nature, love of humans & ease of keeping, ESPECIALLY if he has no prior experience. Plus the fact that they won't root as much, damage the land and can be kept for a much lower cost due to their grazing tendancies. Grass with a suppliment of fruit and veg will keep them happy and well in all but the harshest of conditions. As you can probably tell, I'm pro-Kune Kune ;) Fantastic little pigs - tell him to have a think before he rushes to part with them !
HTH
Karen x

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:58:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply Karen

I will email  David Lacon right now!!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »

Another vote for the Kunes here, too.

We've only had ours for a few weeks but they're lovely, and I'd have thought ideal for the sort of farm you're referring to.

My reaction was the same about size - our boys are still quite young but they're never going to get to be anything like the size of our native breeds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS