Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too cold for 8 week olds?  (Read 4737 times)

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
Too cold for 8 week olds?
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:52 am »
My 8 week old saddlebacks arrived yesterday but were keen to explore rather than snuggle in the ark.  This morning it looks as though thy have been out rooting all night (-6 at one point).  Is this normal?

I have noticed that yesterday they both had curly tails, but this morning both tails are straight - is this due to cold?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Too cold for 8 week olds?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:58 am »
We find our pigs tails go straight when they're eating, they go curly when they're rooting or finding something yummy. So long as they have a snuggy ark with plenty of straw and they know where to goto get in they'll be fine. We tend to shut them in for their first night so they get the drift that its bedtime you could also try sitting close to the doorway and their natural curiosity will make them come and investigate you and hopefully go into the ark. So long as they seem well, the cold won't bother them too much. Just keep an eye on them and if you think they're shivering get them into the shelter and give them some warm milk or water to drink and cover them up with straw.
HTH
Mandy

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:46 pm »
My nine week old Saddleback crosses go to bed in their ark at about 4 o'clock.  Had yours not previously had ground to root about in ?  Maybe they were just excited and needed to explore  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »
We find that sometimes they just prefer the great outdoors  ;D
Make sure the straw in their arc isn't wet/damp as they won't like that and if possible create a small temporary run around the arc, keep them there for a couple of days til they get the idea and all should be fine.
Oh and I agree with Mandy about the tails - they're not always curly !
HTH
Karen

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »
When I did a course before getting the weaners, we were told that curly tails are normal, and straight tails mean the pigs are either very happy (e.g. eating something delicious or rooting a new patch) or there's something very wrong (they're sick).
Your piggies were probably just really pleased with having new territory to root up. As long as they have plenty of straw in their ark to dig themselves in/under they'll be warm enough. You may arrive at their pen in the morning thinking some of them are gone, and then they appear from underneath the straw (so careful where you walk  ;)).

:wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:32 pm »
When I did a course before getting the weaners, we were told that curly tails are normal, and straight tails mean the pigs are either very happy (e.g. eating something delicious or rooting a new patch) or there's something very wrong (they're sick).
or they are kune kunes!

pigs are incredibly warm little things ... I hope yours are ok  :)
Little Blue

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »
Didn't know kune kunes are (sometimes/always?) a straight-tailed variety, good to know.  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:04:30 pm »

Hilary's tail goes straight if she is annoyed, then it starts to whack from left to right, not a good time to stand too close.  Digby who is always happy often has a straight tail.  I think perhaps they are more like mood indicators.  Tail curled up, relaxed, tail straight, either interested, eating or unwell.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »
Didn't know kune kunes are (sometimes/always?) a straight-tailed variety, good to know.  :wave:
My Kunes always seem to have curly tails, unless they're concentrating on something - eating, mating, trying to climb onto your knee cos you've bent down, the list goes on  ;) ;D I can't say I've noticed much difference with their tails and those of my Berkshires and Large Blacks - must pay more attention !
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:09:41 pm »
mine all have fairly long, straight tails... except one of the piglets who was born with barely a stump!
they do curl sometimes but are mostly straight ...
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS