Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs to turn land  (Read 8229 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Pigs to turn land
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »
Hi we have a 2.5 acre field that we want to get pigs on to turn so we can re-seed it for a hay crop.  Been in touch to the local council re the paperwork and stuff that you need to be able to move and keep pigs.  What i need to know is a) What kind of shelter would be best for them that does not require planning?  The field is listed as agricultural land.  And b) would electric fencing be ok to keep them in?  Asked about and half say yes and half so no.  Any ideas on the best kind of breed to turn the land?  Want to get as much info before we spend out and get these animals.  Thanks :)

Ps i live in South-west Wales

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Pigs to turn land
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »
Many thanks  ;)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »
A pig ark will be the best solution.  These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, you can buy new, and get occasionally secondhand.

Google "pig ark" and you'll see plenty.

Once you have decided on the shape you like, you will need to decide size, whether you want a base, and if you are far enough north to merit an insulated ark

On size,  you'll need to balance the no. pigs you have initially, with any plans for expansion.  If you think you might expand, you may do better to buy a larger one so you don't invest twice!

On bases - if the land is dry and free-draining, and you don't plan to keep over winter, then you may get away without one.  Otherwise a base is probably better.  You can get one with the ark, or use pallets to fill the inside.  Any industrial estate will throw these at you, and you can use one to fill the gaps in the other creating a floor with no holes.  Otherwise you can use 3 or 5 pieces of 4*2 to make some "rafters" and nail or screw 6*1 to it to create a base.  All depends on how much you want to spend and how DIY you are!

Insulated - if you are in the north, consider an insulated ark if keeping pigs over winter

Electric will keep pigs in, but with two provisos.  First you must train them to it first, otherwise the first time they touch it it is 50/50 whether they go backwards or forwards. Either direction takes the pig out of contact, so if the latter you have just taught you pig to escape!  Create a small area enclosed area (say with stock wire) and put the electric just inside this - about 6 inches high.  The pigs cannot then go forward so will learn to back off. You can then put them into a larger area just behind electric. Second proviso is that you need to consider if you pigs do escape from the electric, where will they go?  If onto the main road, or into next door's prize vegetable patch, then you might want to use it in conjunction with some stockwire, just in case.
Finally we like using “horse tape” rather than wire for the electric.  The pigs see this more clearly, and you can also easily see that it is all in tact, without having to walk the fence to check it.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
our two pigs turned over1/2 acre in very little time. i would suggest doing it a bit at a time.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »
Tamworths are great for turning land

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
Many thanks all this has given me food for thought (literally) Hubby wants a kune kune or 2 to keep as breeders and we're thinking of getting 1 or 2 of a larger breed to turn the field and breed once and then probably slaughter.  They'll have smaller sections of the field to turn until they get used to the land and have got a little bit bigger and bolder (and used to the electric fence)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:09:18 pm »
For turning fields tamworths make superb little ploughs.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »
Don't look to promising for buying Tamworths in Carmarthenshire  :'(

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »
i think glamorgan might have some :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »
definately agree that tamworths are the best for turning over the land.  we have 2 just now and what was once just a tangle of weeds and the remains of an old muck heap is now a beautifully rotovated area all ready for veg sowing...only problem is that the tammies aren't nearly ready to go to the dark side for a couple or 3 months yet! :-\

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
Brtish saddlebacks will also make short work of clearing land too, much to my hubbys horror every time I move ours round the field which was a nice paddock   ;D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »
Much appreciated re breed ideas :) we've not made a decision yet as we've lots of preperation work to do to accomodate said piggies

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
our veg patch is like the somme. they dug a very deep wallow near the gate. we have had to bring them in as it was so muddy. they were ment to be slaughtered at the start of december. but due to snow work and burst pipes at the slaughter house they are still with us. they are now very big girls.its going to take some major rotavting to get it flat again.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
There are Tamworths in Carmarthenshire.

Sally & David McGowan have had breeding stock from me. They have recently had two litters.

I also sold two registered breeding gilts to another breeder in Carmarthenshire a few months ago. They already had unregistered Tamworths and plan to start breeding from the new ones in the summer.

Further west there are other breeders......Let me know if I can help with contacts. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:29:26 pm by Tudful Tamworths »
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS