Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 8563 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »
Thanks Karen im hoping it gets easier with practice! I've order smaller needles on express delivery as 13g 1.5 m are huge and I bet that's not helping.
Hoping she forgives me  and is feeling better soon.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »
I sent my Masterject back because I found it too cumbersome and difficult to use. The pigs clearly felt intimidated by it - like I was aiming a rifle at them. No hiding it, because it's so big.
I'm sure it comes into its own outdoors, but I don't think it works in an indoor situation.
I bought a (fairly cheap) Slap-shot a couple of weeks ago, and have used it much more effectively.

Good luck with the ongoing treatment. Hope it all goes well and she's feeling better soon x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »
Thanks liz given they're less than 20 quid I'm going to get one for indoor use. Like you say no doubt masterject is great for outdoors but in a pen not so easy to hide, if it was coming at me I'd run too!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:10:46 am »
The problem with pigs is their intelligence.  The first injection can be administered whilst they are laying down for a tummy rub, the second whilst they are eating.  After that its round up time and even that gets tougher.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »
Good news is it was alot easier to inject her tonight have to say. Masterject was a godsend as I managed to practically stand outside the barn and still jag here. She'd no idea where it came from so lots less fuss. A few teats still lumpy but definately cooler.
Is general opinion that she will be prone to mastitis in the future? She's managing to feed 9 piglets fine still, milk seems to still be coming through all used teats.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:37 am »
Generally yes but as they say nothing surprises you like breeding pigs!! ;D so she may or may not succumb to it again. We had a sow that was prone but she was a wet the bed pig and as i have aready mentioned this provides a breeding ground for the bugs that cause it.
You also generally find sows whose piglets who have not had their teeth clipped are more prone as they get little cuts & nicks on their teats and undercarriage from squabbling piglets and again this is a source for infection to enter the sows system.
Glad to hear your girls recovering, just keeping any eye on my gilt who's just farrowed as her mother was prone and it would be interesting to see if there was an inheritance factor.
best Mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »
Thanks Mandy. I spent a long while watching tonight and she's more comfy but piglets seem to be not desperate but more aggressive about trying to get milk I'm wondering if she's not actually letting down much, they aren't fractious just nudging very hard at teats. Aggies brood latch on and soon settle these don't they stay agitated until she gets up. Maybe she's feeding better at night seeing as they're growing well. Antibiotics are definitely helping her with soreness though. Fingers crossed we will get them to at least 6 weeks with her but I may have to give a milk supplement I think, they're also nicking a bit of her feed so seem to be ok thankfully.
Good luck with yours I hope she doesn't get it.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
Your hungry monsters could probably go onto creep and this would help take the pressure off her. We buy a bag of grower pig food as its very tiny nuts and give it to them on rimmed baking tray, they dance and snuffle on it to start with but soon get the hang that its good to eat. They'll also need some access to a water tray too. We have a low drinker and our babies who are only 4 days old are sucking the rim of that! They're nutters, walls of death around the stable, if the weather stays fine will let them out into the big wide world at the weekend. Clover seems to be doing ok, been sponging her undecarriage down with cool water andmaking sure she has time out from the little scamps. 4 of them are right belly busters  ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 12:55:39 pm »
Thanks Mandy i'll try the creep feed as well. Mine are still inside as it's easier to give mom jabs. I'd planned to put them all out Sunday but weather is turning really cold and she has a few more days of jabs to go so will have to be week after that. Also we need to put some chicken wire round the stock fencing else they'll be out!

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »
There's a cold snap supposed to come next week Helen - just so you bear it in mind before putting them out.
I don't know if it will affect pigs the same, but a wee while after one of my kids was born I was given a course of anti-b's and it affected my milk supply - maybe the same for pigs, but not sure (just thinking out loud lol!)
Another good way of feeding piglets is to get a length of guttering (doesn't need to be huge) and screw it to a couple of sturdy blocks of wood. That way it stays upright, but provides a nice shallow trough for them AND a stage to dance on  ;) Just leave 6 inches either end without food so it doesn't all end up on the floor. My wee runt in the last litter used to get on one end and push it's way up to the other, eating as he went - sooooo cute to watch  :love:

Mandy, glad everything went well with Clover  ;D :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
I'm patiently waiting out my last week before Adelaide's due hers - she was served on 10-10-10, wonder if it'll be 10 piglets......................................... ;) :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 08:54:08 pm »
Thanks Karen, the milk supplement came today so soaked some feed in that and gave them that, they seemed to start to get the hang of it but I guess it'll take a while for them to take it well.
The thing that saddens me is that it's probably a bad idea to breed her again I guess.. She is feeding them enough that they're not starving but her udder is still lumpy but not hot any more which is good. I'll have to give it a lot of thought I guess but I'd hate to breed her only to find she can't feed them at all next time. I guess I need to think long and hard.

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:39 pm »
Helen,
I know what you're saying - it's a tough call and if she was in a commercial piggery she'd probably have been earmarked for slaughter after weaning BUT you're not a commercial piggery, she was a maiden gilt and tbh if it was me I'd be tempted to let her have one more go at it before making a decision. After all, she's not been aggresive to the point of killing any of them and she is still managing to feed them, even if it does mean supplimenting a wee bit. Yes, I'm a big softy, but as has been said before, pigs have a way of surprising you  ;) I wasn't the best mum first baby I had, I had to learn so I was better next time round. Poor piggy's not had all the midwifes to keep her right  ::) and everybody deserves a second chance  :love: :pig:
Karen x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:07 am »
Thanks Karen, the pig with mastitis is Kim she took to things beautifully right from the start so it's a real shame this has happened. She's doing her best but just isn't that milky now. Either way I'm just as big a softie as you so we'll probably end up with a 'pet' pig if things don't work out with breeding.
Aggie who was aggressive at first is now the model mom, managing just fine with 11 and very happy with them now.
It's all been a huge learning curve and just when I heaved a sigh of relief Kim got mastitis. She had a bit of a temp when she farrowed but we gave abs and she's very clean in her bed so I guess maybe it was their teeth.. Who knows. Anyway heed luck with Adelaide :-)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:23 am »
I think all pig keepers are big softies at heart thats why i have 2 x 6 1/2yr old lardies who are not productive at all!!
A tip might be to give Kim next time she farrows a jab of long acting antibiotic as soon as she's farrowed as a precautionary, won't do her any harm and may prevent the onset. Like Karen i would give her another chance and decide after that.
Karen, Clover is being a wonderful mum, she has all the qualites of a regimental seargant major and theres some cracking little pigs, she did stand on one whcih was very sad as it was a gilt (why is it always a gilt!!?) so we've got 11 now. Good luck with Adelaide, i'm sure she'll be fine. i think we get more stressed than they do!! ;D
Best Mandy

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:05 am »
Checked Clover this morning, think she's starting with this rotten lurgy! :(
Her udder is very hot at the back between her legs and feels very solid, off to ring the vet and will collect a jab for her this afternoon. Makes me now wonder if its inherited.
Wil keep you posted Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS