Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune for eating  (Read 15089 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Kune Kune for eating
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »
Is it worthwhile rearing Kune Kune for meat.  Most people here raise full size pigs but killing two, prepring and butchering not only takes a lot of processing but also leave a hell of a lot of meat considering it would only be for two people.

If so what is the kill age/weight is thee food to weight conversion economical?

Any advice as usual greatly appreciated.

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kune for eating
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:44 pm »
I have Kune Kunes  ;D
They are wonderful little pigs, great to keep and so easy to manage - and make excellent, flavoursome pork albeit smaller than other breeds.
They do take a bit longer to reach slaughter weight at around 10 months, but this additional time is offset by the savings in feed costs. They are primarily grazers and will do really well purely on mixed pasture (if you've got plenty of space) Standard pig nuts have too high a protein level for them and will make them very fatty, so are best avoided. But I feed mine on a mix of fruit and veg, supplimented with wheat feed pellets when there is little grass (but only half the amount you would feed other pigs 1/2 a pound for each month of age, up to a maximum of 3 pounds per day per pig)
I'd recommend anyone wanting a small starter pig to consider these - there are plenty of folk who will sell weaners at a premium price (upwards of £100) and I think this puts off a lots of people who want to eat them. But there are good, pedigree weaners out there at reasonable prices - I've got 3, 5 month old weaners available at the minute and more piglets due within the next fortnight, if you fancy a trip to Scotland sometime  ;)
If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask away  :wave:
HTH
Karen x

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »
Agree with HappyHippy, no problem with KK's as meat pigs, and yes don't overfeed ! 
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »
Hi all :) I've got Kune Kune crosses and i was wondering how much is the average slaughter cost?  Kill and the kill and cut preferably.  When i phoned up the "local" abattoir i was told £50 for pigs full stop.  Going to phone some more tomorrow and find out if size makes a difference.  Is it worth sending them for slaughter to sell the meat on? Failing that i am just going to keep them until they've distroyed my land

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:04:30 am »
all 3 slaughter houses we use  charge per pig too only when they go over 200lb LW the price goes up.

the same applies for sheep and cattle i pay the same for a dexter to be killed as i would a limmi.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:05:17 am »
I get my local abattior to deliver the carcass to the butcher for me.
The kill cost is around £17 per pig and butchery is 80p per kilo, this works out cheaper for smaller pigs - might be worth asking around in your local area and find a butcher who gets deliveries from the slaughterhouse that would do your cut and pack a bit cheaper ?
HTH
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:16:29 am »
Looks like we'll be bringing ours down to your abbatoir/butcher karen - none of our "local" abbatoirs take pigs anymore (Paisley) due to "lack of requests" & licensing  ::)

Others have quoted £50 slaughter  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:25 am »
Looks like we'll be bringing ours down to your abbatoir/butcher karen - none of our "local" abbatoirs take pigs anymore (Paisley) due to "lack of requests" & licensing  ::)

Others have quoted £50 slaughter  :o
Speak to Paisley again guys, I've sent them SPKA info with the hope that they'll reconsider the pigs  ;) So the more intrest/enquiries they get, the more chance there is that it'll change  ;D
It's Shotts abatoir I used last time, they deliver to a butcher in Wishaw or they'll do a basic cut at the abattoir (but I've not checked the costings). Wishaw abattoir is good too, again not sure of their charges - but their details are on the slaughterhouse section of http://scottishpigs.co.uk give them a phone (mention the SPKA ;)) and find out  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:01 am »
That's brill Karen - we'll live in hope  :D

Though wouldn't have minded needing to travel your way (once the trailer probs are sorted) - the muffins were yummy  :yum: ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:17 am »
i was under the impression that paisley stopped more than 2 years ago(it was the cost to run the scalding tanks)
you are spoiled for choice  ardrossan dunblane shotts wishaw and carluke some have to travel further to get to there nearest one
and yes prices do vary drastically :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:56:25 am »
Hey - maybe if I call Paisley twice a week & NAG - no seriously I'd never get away with it with my accent  ;D

Robert - will follow your advice & ring round nearer the time.  Though from the behaviour of a certain young man it'll be sooner rather than later  ;)

Karen - that's NOT SOS by the way  :love: :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:41:57 am »
I thought Ramsey's in Carluke only did butchery  ???
Do they slaughter there too ?
I'll need to make further enquiries..................... ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 11:47:14 am »

yes they do the whole process    but dear then again you have a saleable product :wave:
but only  :wave:up to 90 kilos :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 07:33:03 pm »
Suppose we will have to "weigh-up"  ;) the costs of transport against charges, which will also be dependant on how many we have ready at the time.

Hey, at least we don't have to give them any feed now the grass is growing  ;D

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
All our pigs go to ramsays!

We drop off the pigs on a Thursday afternoon and get them back 3 weeks later vacuum packed! Absolutely fabulous bacon and sausages!

Book early as they only do 6 private pigs a week

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS