Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling meat  (Read 6430 times)

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
selling meat
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:23 pm »
please can someone give me info or point me in the direction to find out :- what rule/regs/laws i need to follow for selling meat in halfs etc????
if you cut it up are there even more regs to follow??
can you really get away with selling to friends and family without having follow any regs???

waterhouse

Re: selling meat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
Are there any regs about keeping feed: does one need to keep batch numbers or anything?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:53:18 pm »
When I was inspected they didnt seem to expect me to record batch numbers but I def had to have the current sacks labels intact as they take samples of the feed to check for contamination and they record the batch numbers against the samples. I dont sell any meat currently. The thing they were hottest on was to keep non veggie animals feed away from veggie animals feed and ruminant feed away from non ruminants. SO  the most important thing is that dog cat and chicken feed (chicken feed has fish oil in it which they need being omnivores) away from the sheep feed and the horse feed. They also expected separate feeding buckets and feed bins (Bins had to be vermin proof) and each labelled (partly so if you were away/ill and someone else unfamiliar was feeding they didnt get them all mixed up). They also looked at tagging and ID records.

I do think if you sell any meat you are supposed to keep all the labels and record them in a book so if a customer gets ill they can trace back if the feed was an issue)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »
As lachlanandmarcus said plus you need to keep your feed sack labels for 3 months. You need all your receipts from the slaughterhouse, butcher etc - the tags which come back with each carcass will do.

Carcases are stamped at the abattoir so that after jointing the stamps can still be seen.

I have sold meat in the past and had it cut and packed by a butcher, to conform with regs. I have also bought a wild boar carcase and collected it uncut from the abattoir, but not to sell on.  If you are going to cut meat at home then sell on the joints, you have to be inspected by Trading Standards and conform to regs. Before those laws came in we were able to collect the carcases from the abattoir then have them cut up in our own kitchen.

I think that if you sell meat from a freezer then there are further regs about that - dedicated freezer, use-by dates and so on.  Best to check with Trading Standards.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »
we sold eter half or full lambs last year ony 3 but went to  slaughterhouse and where butchered there i was told by another farmer that on collection from the butcher thay had to be delivered or collected to the cusomer withing a certem time or you have to have a cold store i was under the impreshion that if you sell less than a half or frozen that more rules apply?

lovejacobs

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
I sell boxed meat each year. I arrange a delivery date, collect the meat, bagged, labelled and boxed from the butchers at the abatoir, then take it directly to the customer. I don't touch the meat myself at all as I have been warned that there are fearsome regulations about hygiene etc. The consensus from all I have talked to is that it is OK to do this. I should add I have ice blocks in the boxes to keep the meat cool. 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:44:57 pm »
I do the same......abattoir to the client
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS