Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Costs  (Read 1225 times)

SR

• Joined Jun 2020
Costs
« on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:00 pm »
Hello.
How much might you expect a Hebridean ram cost to buy?
Also how much might a Hebridean ewe in lamb cost to buy?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Costs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 05:35:17 pm »
With all such questions, of course, it depends.  It depends on if you are looking for a two horned or multihorned tup, if you are looking for a show winner or just a good sturdy sire for your meat lambs, it depends on if you are looking for a registered breeding animal or not, who you are buying from and whether you are at a  rare breeds sale or going private.  The cost of a tup also varies with the year, in that supply and demand fluctuate.  It also depends on how much you are prepared to pay.
The highest paid for a Heb tup at a rare breed sale that I am aware of was just short of 1,000, but I think that was something to do with raising the profile of the breed ie perhaps pre-arranged, cynic that I am.
A good, run of the mill but registered tup would be somewhere over 100 and for a show tup you might pay several hundred, perhaps for the breeder's name.  Hebs never attract the sky-high prices you see at pedigree ram sales

Sorry I can't help with the price of in-lamb ewes as I have not sold or bought them, and would not.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 06:49:01 pm »
Echo comments above and much of what fleecewife says is true of female hebs too. I have seen ewe lambs sold between 30 and 100 at auction. Ewe's with lambs at foot 25 to 100. In lamb ewes 40 to 60. Then there are those that sell above those top prices I have just quoted. I have also seen sheep given away on some web sites for less. You don't often see in lamb hebs for sale.

SR

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 08:29:42 pm »
Thanks folks. That is useful. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS