Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck island banks too steep?  (Read 166 times)

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
Duck island banks too steep?
« on: April 12, 2021, 10:53:51 am »
Hi duck owners, could I ask for your wise advice. We have a new island that we hope will attract wild ducks but wonder if the banks are too steep. The island is about 30 foot by 25 foot wide and about a foot high above the water and currently covered in short grass (see photo) but this grow long and unkept and we have also planted some small native hedgerow whips to give some shelter.

There are visiting mallards already but they prefer the shallower edges of the pond.

Any ideas on how to make the island more attractive to the ducks while remaining as natural looking as possible?

Thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Duck island banks too steep?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 11:29:23 am »
How about getting a wooden plank with a rough surface, or with wire tacked to it, and floating one end of it in the pond like a ramp?

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:35 pm »
How deep is the water?  Can you dig back into the earth in 2 or 3 places around the island to create a more gradual slope from the edge inwards? At the same time you could create a beach area, if the surrounding water is not too deep.
Are there any flowers, reeds and so on, or is it just plain grass?  It certainly looks a bit barren at the mo.  Ducks like water plants so maybe plant some of them into the water at the island edges, with rushes and reeds for cover.
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the the lifeblood of your land.

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:26:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to use any artificial structures if I can avoid it. The island is bare at the moment but it should green up quickly once the weather improves. The slope continues down into the water at the same angle (about 30 degrees) to about 5 feet deep. It wouldn't do any harm to do a bit of digging so I might row out there with a spade sometime and create a lower section, and use the spoil to make the island a little less like a billiard table.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow. Some like to think it's in England.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:37:57 pm »
No duck expert here, but you mention wild ducks rather than potentially less mobile/flight-capable domestic duck varieties: personally, I wouldn't worry. 
Wild female ducks will almost certainly take advantage of your island for nesting idc if they like your 'pond'.

Rhode Island Red

Started by jameslindsay (7.69)

Replies: 32
Views: 8635
Last post May 18, 2009, 12:43:27 pm
by jameslindsay
Rhode Island Reds

Started by suziequeue (7.6)

Replies: 10
Views: 2937
Last post April 20, 2011, 08:09:37 pm
by princesspiggy
Rhode Island Cocks x 2

Started by Eggs, Chicks & Hens (7.6)

Replies: 1
Views: 1413
Last post July 07, 2011, 08:18:22 am
by Eggs, Chicks & Hens
Rhode Island Red Cockerels

Started by thestephens (7.6)

Replies: 0
Views: 947
Last post July 23, 2014, 12:30:48 pm
by thestephens
West Wales Rhode Island Reds

Started by wolfie (7.44)

Replies: 0
Views: 2417
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:42:41 pm
by wolfie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS