Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with Pigs  (Read 8725 times)

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
Starting with Pigs
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:45:13 am »
I am looking at keeping pigs & am after all the information I can get.  What is the best ark or shelter?  What bedding?  Feed?  Any information will be gratefully accepted & all will be taken on board.
Thanks in advance.

Mick......
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Starting with Pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:39 am »
Best advice :  read through the pig section on here.  Maybe also River Cottage (loads of experienced people on there too) buy Starting with Pigs by Andy Case and cant remember the title, but the one by Richard Lutchwych.  Both "bibles" on pig keeping.

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:25 am »
hello, where do you live? We might be able to help with the arc, as we are just embarking on building and selling arcs. We use straw in our arc and its kept our Berkshire warm and snug all through the snow.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
Where to start as already suggested get some good books, try to visit someone who keps pigs.
Hopefully the following links will be a help.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pig-Keeping-Lutwyche/dp/1905400861/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265379847&sr=1-12
http://www.oldspots.org.uk/getting_started.asp
HTh
Good luck
mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
Hi I've just started with mine 2 saddleback weaners. I'm lucky enough to have a carpenter hubby so we bought curved metal sheets from the Tinman on eBay got 2 6x 4 sheets for 60 quid then hubby got osb board for 70 quid and made an Arc, if you're handy maybe have a go. We use straw bedding and they love it. I like to make them a nice deep bed and they snuggle in and bury themselves at night to keep warm. One of mine is a bit wary though and has bitten my daughter and I so we are having to take things slowly with her. Other than that things are going well but as others suggest read loads first. I found starting with pigs and traditional pig keeping really useful. I did buy practical pig keeping but that is totally aimed at large commercial operations so didn't help me. Good luck.. And be warned.. Pigs are addictive

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:38:22 pm »
an excellent book which is so simple and straight forward from arks, health, feed etc
the whole lot is in there but not to much that it becomes to much if you know what i mean.
this is the book which we got and i go back to it again and again for help.
(sorry just realised i forgot to mention the name of author and book! tony york:teach your self catergory range, keeping pigs)
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:07:55 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the books mentioned. The local library are good because if you give them a list of books you would like they will buy them. As for the ark, I will make one myself, I am quite handy & live on a farm so there are a good range of materials around :)   I am looking forward to it ;)  I was out walking today & come across a house with a couple of pigs in the garden & asked around to see who owned them. I am meeting the guy to have a chat later in the week. I also have a meeting with a local pig farmer to see what tips I can pick up.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:50 pm »
We got our first two pigs at Christmas and so far so good.
I read quite a bit, but have forgotten most of it. We borrowed and arc from our neighbour who inherited it. They are bedded down in straw and it is really nice to see them making their beds. We have electric fencing which our two were used to before they arrived. We learnt quite a bit from the 3 visits to the farm where we bought them. The folk were lovely and very helpful. And some stuff we have had to learn on the job and check out here as we went. For example I wasn't prepared for how much water they would or how they could so easily turn over containers for food and water. So we now have  brewing bucket sitting in a tyre for a water trough that is filled morning and evening and we have a wooden feed trough which is nowehere need standard but does the job
 :pig: :pig:
kirsty

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
There is a building at the side of the plot with a water supply so will be fitting a tap. Will look at finding something heavy for feed & water. What is it best to feed them on?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:43 am »
I use the rubber plastering troughs, mine are very, very heavy, made out of recycled tyres.  Easy to clean. The pigs still upend and chuck them around the field once they are empty.  They do that to every feeder I have tried.  For water if you have a supply close by have you considered automatic drinkers?

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »
There is a shed at the side of my plot with a concrete trough which has constant running water for the cows. I was thinking of doing the same but the water would be fed through a hose which I would set up on a timer so there would be fresh water supplied a couple of times a day. Saving me time for other things. Would have to build 3 though cos I want to move the area the pigs are in so I can plant veg after the pigs have done what they do :)    Lot's of idea's just not enough time or money ha ha ha

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Starting with Pigsvery
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
very clean and smart looking for a farmer mate!!!!
cant remember the last time i looked like that
hope all goes well for you and your pigs.
any idea what breed you are going to get?
we got three british saddleback easy to handle very good with the kids etc.
good luck again
langdon ;) :pig: 
Langdon ;)

hunter001

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »
Hi Mate you don't need to spend a lot of money on an expensive arc, i have had pigs for a few yrs now and they live very happily in my home made arc 6 fence posts with pallets fixed to them gaps filled in on sides but not back and front and sheeting on roof, roof tilted to catch water (which is the law of having animals haha) and loads of straw to curl up in. just make sure its well built cos the pigs will have it pulled down in a jiffy.

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:35:40 pm »
We use an old belson sink for water and, as yet, she hasn't tipped it over. Food we use a cut off bucket, we remove it when she's finished eating and it does the job just fine.

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:14:13 pm »
Oh I scrub up ha ha ha.    I don't have a clue what breed as of yet. A friend of mine has a couple of 'large blacks' .   Will look at what there is available when I'm ready. I have been collecting pallets & fencing timber since I moved here. Also have a few old doors which are quite heavy. Will be goin to farmer who owns the place with cap in hand cos he's got some old roofing sheets.  Got a friend who works on the local tip, or recycling centre as it's known now, so will ask him to keep his eye out for some items which may be of use to me :)   

starting with pigs

Started by p00rstudent (9.64)

Replies: 8
Views: 4880
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:15:23 pm
by Hilarysmum
starting with pigs

Started by jacob and Georgina (9.64)

Replies: 12
Views: 4425
Last post May 14, 2010, 06:14:56 pm
by jacob and Georgina
Starting with pigs

Started by Raine (9.64)

Replies: 4
Views: 1845
Last post May 20, 2013, 10:24:59 am
by kja
Starting with pigs:

Started by Shropshirelass (9.64)

Replies: 2
Views: 1440
Last post October 06, 2021, 08:52:59 am
by harmony
starting off with pigs in woodland

Started by tobytoby (9.54)

Replies: 9
Views: 4624
Last post May 27, 2011, 09:23:31 pm
by Beewyched

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS