Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Writing a CV  (Read 4147 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Writing a CV
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:03:33 pm »
Today I have attempted to create a CV/Resume . Its been 25 years since I last wrote  one , I've never needed one in the meantime, I have looked at job sites that will pre populate a sort of reume from the details entered into the *required fields  , the results are poo !
I went on line to look at CV's , they look nothing like my quarter century old effort, I also took the liberty of looking at a couple of the CV's hopeful applicants to our company have submitted , may have well done them in crayon and they looked remarkably similar too.
Both got jobs BTW.
My qualifications are years old , Do I list all my past employment ? Do I include my achievement of coming third  in the egg and spoon race for eleven year old boys ?
Should I produce a custom CV for each job or just a generic one ? Oh and does stopping every so often to watch the last clutch of swallow chick fledge  help ?

So far I have come up with,and indulge me please

Rupert the Bear
If you don’t know me then someone you know defiantly will.
Multi skilled but there are more things I don’t know than I do.
Will have a crack at anything but will admit if I cant.
I can tell the time , so wont be late.
Have my own mug ( white, no sugar ).
 :fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Writing a CV
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:11:46 pm »
Hi Rupert, You're hired!  :wave:

I used to see a lot of CVs in a previous role, and believe me, I've seen good, bad and everything in between!

CVs vary dramatically depending on the type of job you're looking for. I have a friend who is a university researcher, and my CV would never get me a look in at his place, whilst his would immediately be binned outside of academia!

The first big decision to make is whether you're going to use a chronological format (most recent experience goes first), or a skills-based one. In general, go for chronological if you want to show a career progression / climbing the greasy ladder over the years etc, but go for skills based if you have changed careers such that your new employers won't be interested in large sections of your previous employment, or if there are gaps in your employment history that you want to gloss over. Skills based is also very useful for where you want to tailor your CV to specific jobs.

As an aside, I once interviewed a chap for a job, who told me that he had been working "eh, offshore mate" for the past four years. When I quizzed him on his role during that time, it quickly became apparent that he didn't know one end of an oil rig from the other. I presume he'd probably been detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure somewhere, but didn't want to write that on his CV!

My own CV has a section called "Expertise", which is just bullet points of stuff I can do (stop expensive things from blowing up, size pumps, muck out chickens, tube lambs etc), which I tailor to each job. The second page then consists of "Key projects / assignments", and I have a bank of these that would cover a couple of pages if I included them all, but in reality I just pick the most relevant one page worth for each job I apply for (I've been working as a freelancer for the past decade, so there have been plenty!!). There is a very short chronology section, because I think people expect to see that. However, it's not given much prominence, purely because what I was doing fifteen years ago is not very relevant to the jobs I am applying for now.

Apart from that, the biggest thing I'd say is "don't tell me - show me!!".  I had a bunch of CVs through a few months ago, and three of them said that the applicant "could work both independently and as part of a team", which I'm afraid is so cliche these days as to be utterly useless.

However, compare that with "For the past eight years, I have had sole responsibility for henhouse sanitation at Womble Smallholdings Ltd. This is an important job for animal welfare, which I undertook diligently once a week, working entirely unsupervised, whilst the boss had her Sunday morning lie-in". Then instead of just saying "I am reliable and can work as part of a team", how about "For the past five years, I have been Logistics Leader at Womble Smallholdings Ltd. Responsibilities included feed, water and anthelmintic provision for a team of up to thirty ORPs (Ovine Reproduction Professionals), plus childbirth assistance and seasonal shift-working when required. I was responsible for defining boundaries for the team, and for allocating fields of work to sub-groups, according to individual employee objectives and nutritional needs".

HTH!

P.S. Do get somebody else to double check your spelling etc. I saw a CV once which claimed "excellent attention to dettail", so you can guess where that ended up!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:34:56 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:14:25 pm »
Oh, another tip (although I've already written far too much) is to write wee stories about each job using the "STAR" method. This stands for Situation, Task or target, Action and Results.

STAR is also a really good way to tackle interview questions that start with "tell me about a time when you...."

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:45:58 am »
Womble ,............You're hired!!!!   .... To write  my CV!!!!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:38:49 pm »
Me as well please, after lunch my P45 turned up , my login credentials deleted and told to just show up Thurs and Friday for a bit !

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:43:40 pm »
Best of luck and I hope you find what you want. Can be a bit daunting if you have not changed jobs for a while and are pushed into it.

When I have sifted CVs to find applicants to interview the first thing is if they match the criteria in the job advert for qualifications/ experience. The ones that look like they were written by a computer are really off putting. Wombles last paragraph is spot on.

In later life the chances are it will be people you have worked with in the past who are best bet to let you know what vacancies are coming up and put a word in....the job of the CV then is not to put the prospective employer off.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:12:29 pm »
In later life the chances are it will be people you have worked with in the past who are best bet to let you know what vacancies are coming up and put a word in....the job of the CV then is not to put the prospective employer off.

Precisely!  I was just thinking about your situation RTB, and you said in your first post "If you don’t know me then someone you know defiantly will". If that's the case then get on the phone! "Jim, it's Rupert here - remember me?  Well I need your help! ABC ltd have just made me redundant, so I'm looking for work doing X, Y or Z. Do you know of anywhere that might be looking for those kind of skills just now?".

Then, the trick is to try and get Jim to make the initial enquiry, so it goes along the lines of "Hi Jane, it's Jim here. I've just heard that a pal of mine is looking for work. Yes, he's really good actually....". Of course if you can get an interview off the back of that phone call, then you're already on a shortlist of one before you even walk in the door!

Good luck!  I really hope that this is the start of a great new chapter for you  :thumbsup: .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 11:36:21 pm »

Rupert the Bear

But do learn how to spell 'definitely'. It's a common mistake to spell it the way you have though.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:14 am »

Rupert the Bear

Opps !

But do learn how to spell 'definitely'. It's a common mistake to spell it the way you have though.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 07:14:52 am »
You know, I quoted you above and didn't even spot that.

All CV review services are hereby suspended, pending an internal investigation.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:33:03 pm »
I spotted it but knowing RtB I assumed he was being defiant rather than definite...  It wouldn't be the first time!

I'd better start using the speil chucker thing  then  :D
I wanted to post video of my tardiness excuse  but am struggling to compress 113Mb to >1024 kb  swallows taking the leap of faith, I'm woking on it ;)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 09:12:17 pm »
I am often defiant about spelling definite.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:22:02 pm »
If you're interested  link to video , may take a moment ( or 3 ) to open depending on your connection as files are 8.8mb approx

I will leave it up for a few days
https://sites.google.com/site/turnoffthemouse/swallows-8-18

Well spotted
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:41:35 pm by Rupert the bear »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 10:03:46 pm »
My post edited as above  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 12:05:41 am »

A former boss was once told by his computer he was a file short of an application.... something the rest of us had known for a good few years; but he seemed offended his computer had noticed!

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS