Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rejuvenating a paddock  (Read 6401 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
rejuvenating a paddock
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »
Due to having to take in a couple of ponies in an emercency we have a badly overgrazed paddock that is now pretty much all dandelions!
What would be the best way of brining this paddock back, would it be a total plough, weed and reseed job, or is there another way?? Any ideas welcome.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: rejuvenating a paddock
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »
Roundup?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:56:41 am »
stick some pigs on it?? they'll love you for it!!and you'll have some great pork in return.......then you can reseed afterwards in the spring for best growing time?? its an idea and your not sat with unproductive land over winter?? :pig: :)
'can't rain all the time!'

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:21 am »
I would have to disagree, the best time to reseed is the autumn in my opinion. If you reseed in the spring you will have no useful crop until July. Get your seeds on before the end of September and you will have a useful bite of grass by early spring.

I would suggest roundup and then harrow a very shallow tilth on the surface. Broadcast your seed, harrow and roll - then roll again! If you dont like using roundup, then ploughing (making sure the trash is well buried) is your best bet.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:41:58 pm »
The type of weed flourishing in a particular field is often an indication of what the field has an excess of or what it is in need of, so it might be worth doing some research on dandelions.

I tend to leave things to try and balance themselves naturally, though of course with some human intervention.  My first fields were completely overgrown with thistles and docks to such an extent I could never even see let alone find my Jersey cow!!

I topped  when I could and took hay crops, spread calcified seaweed (used to be available in those days, in fact it was so rarely used it was difficult to come by and expensive)  Mixed grazed it with sheep and cattle and it is lovely mixed meadow now.  Probably too many buttercups, and I am sure I could easily increase the fertility by a bit of muck, but I like the old wildflower meadow look

never sprayed it, seeded it artificially fertilized it and I have sorrel, wild white clover, large red clover,  many variety of grass, nettles round the edges, still some thistles and docks when it is not topped regularly or not grazed hard enough.  Plus loads of butterflies, moths, grasshoppers, grass snakes, newts, frogs toads, and masses more including bats, and seven nests of swallows that regularly produce at least 2 to 3  broods per year.

My take is that steak and chips is very nutritious and filling but I wouldn't want to eat that every day for the rest of my life.  So rye grasses might be the most productive, but may not give you the healthiest animals, and certainly wont give a varied fauna, never mind outcompeting the flora

But it depends on which direction you are looking to go, and commercial farming needs to be done to feed the world to the standards we require, so I am not saying my way would be for everyone.

All the best,
Sue :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the thought provoking replies, given me a few things to research and think about.
Dawn

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »
if you could borrow a few sheep for a a few months that would be ideal. They will nibble down the baddies and gently fertilise the grass, but not mega richly. They have been doing marvels at our place. And they will help break any horse worm life cycles so will clean the ground that way.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:02:48 am »
i agree with the above, ours was over horse grazed...allowed to grow, topped a couple of times, then calves on it, then topped, then have had sheep on it over the summer. it now looks lush and green, much improved!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »
We have 6 sheep we could graze on it although the paddock only has post and rail, not stock fencing, could be a disater putting them in there! Had enough disaters today, dog got out and killed 6 full grown laying geese :(

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 06:44:50 pm »
Could you go round and fill the gaps between the rails with a line or two of elecric tape/wire  ???
Poor geese and naughty dog  :(  :bouquet:
Danielle

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »
Ouch sorry to hear about the geese. Just wanted to add my noise about re-seeding. I do agree if you want to reseed, put some seed down now, then it has made a start and when (fingers crossed) spring comes in March/April it will get off to a much better start. After building our goat shed we were left with two patches of bare earth, one of which we put grass seed onto in late September, the other we left til March. I was very glad I seeded the little paddock in September, as the lawn which was the other bit didn't have a good covering until as old ploughman said July.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS