Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2798 times)

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
Hello
« on: September 27, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
Hi we have stayed on our smallholding for the past 3 years, we have three Dexters, 10 Shetland sheep, 6 Scots Dumpy chickens, four rabbits and two dogs!
The smallholding is 5 acres and is just outside Aberdour in Fife.
I have visited TAS for over 4 years and have to admit that this is the first time that I have visited the forum (duh!), after a quick look I can see there is loads of helpful advice here.
Looking forward to more visits....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 07:32:07 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, Gary of the Croft!   You're only 20 miles away!
Strange thing is in Aberdeenshire we had 21 acres to start off but never ran it as a croft - scaredey cats I guess, both working long hours and long travelling.  John grew veg and fruit when he retired early, but I'm useless at growing stuff, and everything just gets eaten by bugs or dies off.  When OH died I moved to a smaller place - 10 acres - and had ducks and chickens, was still working so never got round to anything else. Maybe just lazy. Now down to one acre almost all in garden, retired, have ducks and chickens again, and trying to grow things again.  Doubt if I'll get any other animals as I have dogs too and they take up a lot of time.
Have you joind the local Smallholders assoc? First meet is 8th I think.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
Hi and welcome from me too... your about 3-4 miles along the road from us.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:46:40 pm »
Hi from Normandy - your are only a boat trip away from us!

WELCOME :P

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:35:57 pm »
Hi, Gary and welcome

Check out www.smallholders.info the website of Forth Valley and West Fife Smallholders Association - you're almost West Fife, so you quallify!

Next event is next Saturday 4th October - visit to and organic 5 acre holding with 100 laying hens and running an box scheme business. You woudl be most welcome.

First indoor meeting is on the 8th - Panel Night - Environmental Health, Trading Standards, Soil Association and Scottish Association of Farmers' markets on "Small sclale food production - going public"

Hope to see you at either or both.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »
"First indoor meeting is on the 8th - Panel Night - Environmental Health, Trading Standards, Soil Association and Scottish Association of Farmers' markets on "Small sclale food production - going public""
Got a venue and time yet, Rosemary?
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
Its not Gary its Gordon!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:14:22 pm »
Sorry, my user name is in reference to where we stay.
Thanks all for the welcome, not sure if I could make the meetings as I work shifts so will have to check my rota.
Just spent the afternoon smacking in some fence posts, no doubt will feel it tomorrow!
Making the most of the sunshine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS