Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is wrong with my Tamworth?  (Read 2350 times)

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
What is wrong with my Tamworth?
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:44:13 pm »
Hi Pig Keepers,
I'm hoping you can give some advice as to what is wrong with my tamworth gilt. She is In Pig and due on Oct 18th and she is eating and sleeping fine and is her usual bright self. But I've noticed some dark patches on her skin, some that look quite sore and red and I don't know what it is. I've attached some pics and hope you can help - perhaps it is lice or mange? When I checked on her this afternoon and did my usual scoop up of her poo, I saw the most enormous worm! So I need to treat her for worms but rather than just using a wormer should I use something for lice and mange as well - any suggestions? And will it have any affects on her litter?

Thanks - you guys are such a help and support to new pig keepers
Helen  :pig:  :chook:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: What is wrong with my Tamworth?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
check with the vet, as she is close (ish) to farrowing.   but if you do it as soon as poss, it should be ok
something like Ivomectin (sp?) would cover all those...   

let us know what you're advised...  :)
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:52 am »
As an emergency method try rubbing all the areas with olive oil, use plenty.  Also check in and behind the ears.  The oil stops the mites breathing. 

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:17:52 pm »
Thanks for your advice Hilarysmum and Little Blue. I've rubbed her with oil and will worm her tomorrow with Ivomec. I was advised to do it now as it will help mum and babies. I hope the ivomec will sort out lice if she has them - I haven't spotted one on my usual inspection at feeding time! I must look quite a sight on my knees in the mud having a good look in her ears! The good thing is that she isn't off her food at all and is her usual bright self! Now I just have to face the injection tomorrow  :)
Thanks
Helen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:45 am »
Good luck with the injection.  Sometimes you can do it with their heads in a bucket of food.   

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:31 pm »
we did our first pig injectionsa few months ago. at least i wont get any worms for a while.

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »
I did it - yippee! I've just given my first injection to a pig. Phew! I worried about it all day at work and then just had to get on with it. The slap shot flexible vaccinator was fantasic and although Harriet squirmed a bit when the needle went in, I was able to give her the ivomec without too much trouble at all whilst she was eating her dinner. I think she has forgiven me, I took her some apples to apologise!
Thanks for all your help.
Helen  :pig:  :chook:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:01 pm »
Welll done.  You should have seen the fiasco trying to Ivomec Hil.  For a big pig she can't half whinge.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS