Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making Cider  (Read 26257 times)

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Making Cider
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:09 pm »
Think we've 26 gallons on the go this year. First batch should be almost ready.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »
Hmm tried a couple of mine and it tastes more like a wine!
Doesnt particularly taste or smell strongly of apples/cider but its fizzy and a bit rough on the palate.
the internet says its over fermented - anybody know?
I didnt check the specific gravity because I forgot at the start of fermentation
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 09:42:03 pm »
Quite a surprise yesterday, I opened one of the 2ltr bottles of Novembers Cider ,wasn't expecting much even thought it may have spoilt, but no it seems to kept very well. I intended it as a low abv quaffing drink, and thats how I drank it yesterday.
yesterday.
Today I have most of my cognitive functions back .
Sadly the apples I stored have not kept well over 50% have rotted  ???

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 08:37:49 pm »
Hmm tried a couple of mine and it tastes more like a wine!
Doesnt particularly taste or smell strongly of apples/cider but its fizzy and a bit rough on the palate.
the internet says its over fermented - anybody know?
I didnt check the specific gravity because I forgot at the start of fermentation

Overfermented doesn't sound right. Could be that it's really strong. You need to check the Specific gravity at the start. One idea might be to rack it out and top up with Apple juice. Should sweeten it a bit and restart fermentation

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »
Quite a surprise yesterday, I opened one of the 2ltr bottles of Novembers Cider ,wasn't expecting much even thought it may have spoilt, but no it seems to kept very well. I intended it as a low abv quaffing drink, and thats how I drank it yesterday.
yesterday.
Today I have most of my cognitive functions back .
Sadly the apples I stored have not kept well over 50% have rotted  ???

Sounds like it has fermented as a still cider & done it very well and become dry ..especially as you needed a recovery period after drinking it .

If you want it fizzy  like pop .  Ferment it out as yo have already done rack it off into clean sterilised 2 or 3 litre pop bottles  ,  slip a teaspoon of sugar into the bottle first rack off on to the sugar then cap the bottle with it's original top ..leave them somewhere warmish but where they won't cause a problem if they explode /leak for three of four months .

Pop a bottle in the fridge for a day before opening it , that helps keep the gas in the cider .

P
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS