Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 2037 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
Hi All
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:13:51 am »
Not yet got my smallholding. Just a dream and the start of a five year plan. Me and the wife plan to give it all up then and buy some land in Snowdonia or up by Durness pref Durness. So to how big a piece of land would we need. It would have to be big enought to grow are veg and keep live stock. hope fully have some left over to sell. Theres about a million question we need answers to so we will start with the basics. Off to start reading some of the stuff on this site and let my education begin :)
I am going to live the dream

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »
Good luck in your search, and welcome to the forum - they are a lovely friendly bunch! 
I had 10 acres in Aberdeenshire but had no luck getting that down in Scottish Central Belt - far too expensive with posh money from Glsgow and Edinburgh City Centre horsey folk.  Now have just an acre and almost all in grass meantime, but have srt up a fairly large pen for ducks and chickens and my dogs have the rest.  Thinking of rescuing a donkey - anyone know where I can get one?
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »
How wonderful - dreaming is good - constant sunshine and warmth - animals that behave themselves - veggie patches with no weeds! :P

Seriously though, we all started with that thought and some of us were lucky enough to find the end of the rainbow.  Good luck and ask away!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:44:58 pm »
Wow, Durness. I had one of the worst eating experiences in my life in Durness. It was a number of years ago so maybe things have improved!

The amount of land you need depends on whether you want an income or simply to grow enough for yourselves, and then, of course, what sort of income you can live with and how much time you have to invest in the land as against what you can earn working. I can earn much more working that I could earn from our one acre, unless I discover oil on it, and even in different cirumstances I don't think we coudl earn enough to live on even living pretty frugally. There are somethings I need cash for - wine and chocolate, fo instance. And insurance and vet's bills too. And I've never fancied woolen knickers!

If you haven't already got the John Seymour self sufficiency book, then get it. It's a bit extreme for most of us but great for musing over.

We'll look forward to sharing the dream with you!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS