Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First home grown meat goat  (Read 1250 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
First home grown meat goat
« on: August 25, 2018, 11:31:04 pm »
I have just butchered (myself) our dairy goat.
I was scared that she was underfed and not very meaty but was really shocked to see quite a bit of meat and soooooo much fat!!!!!! Fat between heart and lungs. Kidneys completely submerged. Whole bucket of pure white fat just from the stomach cavity. More fat between skin and meat. Oh my days! I really thought she will be so skinny and not worth eating.
She was 18 months old and fed only 2 bales of hay over the winter. Rest was grass and weeds from our 1/2 acre garden, brambles and ivy! That's all she ever ate!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: First home grown meat goat
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:52 pm »
I had the same surprise.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:09:53 pm »
Dairy goats fattened for meat , notoriously  produce fat internally  despite  looking slim externally.  You can imagine that a dairy type goat that actually looks fat is in fact obese. I can not pass judgement  if this is a Boer goat as I have no knowledge of  them.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:44:45 pm »
It is a dairy goat with approximately 1/16 boer in her.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS