Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slap Markers vs Ear Tags  (Read 5088 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Slap Markers vs Ear Tags
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
Good morning. 

Looking for some 'real world' advice from pig keepers regarding the pros and cons of slap marking vs ear tagging for our pigs, as I am about to buy whichever system works best for us. 

We only have 4 pigs at the moment, but this will increase as we get our act together with replacement of our poor fencing.  The pigs are all pretty good natured, so I am sure tagging/slapping them would be fine when they are eating or otherwise distracted. 

Currently our 4 were bought as weaners and will go straight to the abattoir, but we will be looking to breed our own stock in a year or two's time.  We may sell a few weaners at that stage too. 

Any thoughts, tips, advice is appreciated.  For what it is worth, I am currently leaning towards slap marking and maybe getting the ear tags at a later stage if we have the need. 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Slap Markers vs Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:26:18 am »
Not sure if its the same across the UK, but here in Wales you need to have pigs tagged and can't use slap marks anymore. They should be tagged with the birth holding number and then when they leave your holding will need tags with your number on. If your unsure best to ring your local abattoir

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:09:04 pm »
Abattoir is happy with either ear tags (not plastic ones!) or tattoo slap marks.  Temp (spray) marking is not acceptable for obvious reasons. 

Interesting about the Welsh regs being slightly different though, as that explains why they were tagged when the weaners arrived - as they came from just over the Welsh border!

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:01:07 pm »
Hi Maysie,

Had thought pretty much the same myself. Recently got a slap marker and tried it on two of our pigs that went to abattoir a few weeks ago. They also had ear tags in.

Slapping seemed easy, and pigs didn't object too much.  Slapped each four times to make sure.

When we got carcasses back (we home butchered),  couldn't see any of them.  Perhaps I didn't do it right, although I'm convinced I was thorough about the process, but based on this experience I'm not a fan of slap marking. 

Will stick with ear tags for the rest.           

Dave

(ps. want to buy a lightly used slap marker?   ;D ).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04:40 pm »
Not sure if its the same across the UK, but here in Wales you need to have pigs tagged and can't use slap marks anymore. They should be tagged with the birth holding number and then when they leave your holding will need tags with your number on. If your unsure best to ring your local abattoir
[/quote

Are you sure this correct and if so when did it change?

I have 2 weaners every other year. Had the last 2 in 2017 so none this year. I have always bought them in on temporary marks (usually a bit of spray paint) and send them off with slap marks.

Maysie we find slap marking is fairly easy to do and if done when they are eating they hardly flinch. It's also quite comforting to see the slap mark when you get your meat back so that you know it's definitely yours.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:34:58 pm »

Not correct.
https://beta.gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2018-01/pig-identification-and-movement-guidance.pdf

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:12 pm »
Hi Maysie,

Had thought pretty much the same myself. Recently got a slap marker and tried it on two of our pigs that went to abattoir a few weeks ago. They also had ear tags in.

Slapping seemed easy, and pigs didn't object too much.  Slapped each four times to make sure.

When we got carcasses back (we home butchered),  couldn't see any of them.  Perhaps I didn't do it right, although I'm convinced I was thorough about the process, but based on this experience I'm not a fan of slap marking. 

Will stick with ear tags for the rest.           

Dave

(ps. want to buy a lightly used slap marker?   ;D ).

You must have been very gentle! Or you didn't get your pigs back. You should have been able to see the tattoo on a white pig.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »
Most people only slap mark for the abattoir to ensure they get their pig back. As most people don't get the head back tags are potentially less reliable.

It may be different now but the first slap mark kits were not big enough to hold a 6 figure herd mark so your slap mark and herd mark were not the same. so slapped pigs also needed an ear tag.

Identification needs to be readable so a slap mark will not be visible on a dark haired pig until it is on the hook. Also you have less chance reading a slap mark on a muddy pig than an ear tag.

Breeders don't tend to slap weaners for resale as the buyer puts their own tag in when the pig goes off at a finished weight. Hence the temporary paint mark option.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:34:40 am »
Not correct.
https://beta.gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2018-01/pig-identification-and-movement-guidance.pdf

That guidance is well out of date, I looked for new guidance but its being updated and is unavailable at the moment. Temporary marks haven't been allowed for some years now - unless my information is incorrect?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:59 am »
It may well be under review but until any new guidance is released you can only use the current available and not speculate on what new guidance might be.

You have never been able to send a pig to slaughter on a temporary paint mark.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:15:48 am »
My pigs are OSB/Berkshire crosses, so some are very black on their shoulders. 

It sounds like I may therefore have to ear tag them? 

[member=24672]harmony[/member], at what point of the slaughter process do the tags need to be readable.  I assume it is at their arrival at the abattoir rather than after slaughter? 
Sorry for the daft question, this will be the first time I have sent animals to the abattoir, so it is all new to me. 

TIA

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 12:24:06 pm »
Any tag used to send a pig to slaughter needs to withstand the dehairing process, which involves heat. Most plastic tags do that. Alternatively, you can use a metal Z tag but seem only to be sold in very large numbers.

There is always the possibility that you may be stopped and inspected on the way to slaughter so I would say any slap mark should be visible to any inspecting person.

For me if you are intending to sell pigs in the future and may breed registered stock I would go with the ear tags as a first indentifier. You can always slap as well.  All pigs are white skinned on the hook so your crosses will be readable once dehaired.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 12:43:21 pm »
As Harmony has said they all have white skin underneath. We have never had black pigs but have slap marked OSB's, Gloucestershire Old Spots and Tamworth's. The mark never looks very clear when they are done but it's always looked good when the meat comes back.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 01:32:46 pm »
Thank you all for the replies. 

I think I will invest in a slapper (ooh err Mrs!) and the metal ear tags. 

Thanks again.   :pig:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »
Berkshires. Slap Mark. Local abbatoir is happy with this. Whatever you use best to check with your abbatoir.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS