Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spot On  (Read 5006 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Spot On
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:45:20 pm »
Has anyone had a cat get ill after using Spot On. Barnaby lost weight and his hair starting falling out. I thought it was the heat but it came to me the other day when checking my diary that it all started after i treated him for fleas and ticks. He is now looking better. I have been feeding him 3 small meals a day plus he can have cat biscuits any time he wants. although now around 13 years old he is still very active.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Spot On
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 04:31:54 pm »
Which brand was it? Some of the brands that are sold for cats have been reported to cause them problems.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
I've seen a couple of cases of cats being unwell after flea treatments - one was given a dog spot on that contained permethrin, and stated that it was toxic to cats, sadly I couldn't save her despite hours of intensive treatment.
The other had broadline, which is fine for most cats, but he had licked some from his fur and was unwell not eating and drinking, but with supportive treatment including a drip, he recovered well and the owners changed the brand of flea/wormer and he was fine thereafter.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 01:39:28 pm »
I'm not sure which brand I used last week (I think it was the Bob Martin's one  :thinking:) but my 18 year old Rio was never ill.   Yesterday he killed and ate a baby rabbit at my back door so I couldn't get the dogs to come in till he'd finished, (He left nothing!!!) and I found the remains of a large fat pigeon when mowing the front paddock. Bloody cat. He's a nightmare!   ::)   But I love him to bits and I'll miss him hugely when he goes.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
After much looking through the drawers in the stables I found the packet. he was treated with Bob Martin Clear flea and tick Spot On for cats and kittens from 12 wks of age. Says it gives 24 wks protection and its Pesticide free.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 05:43:40 pm »
It may well have been the drops then. Bob Martin is the brand that I've heard lots of bad things about. Have a look at the reviews on amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Martin-Flea-Tick-Weeks/product-reviews/B000PECIWE

Wen use advantage for fleas and it works really well.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS