Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers' health  (Read 2154 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Farmers' health
« on: August 18, 2018, 01:56:07 pm »
I've been noticing at livestock sales, that increasingly we see older looking farmers bent and limping badly, walking with one or two sticks.  It really struck home today at Lanark.

Is it just that farmers don't retire but carry on until they drop?  Is it that it's generally a 'hard life' in farming?  Is it all the heavy lifting and handling of sheep and cattle?  Is it that farmers are more prone to accidents and  injury?  Is it being out in all weathers?  Is it lack of sleep at lambing time?  Is it financial worries? Or is it all of these together?

Has anyone else noticed this?  You don't see more damaged and worn-out bodies in a hospital Out Patient clinic than at some livestock marts.  What are we doing to ourselves?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Farmers' health
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:35:20 pm »
Well being a female in my 60's I would say its hard work 52 wks of the year. Being out in all weathers and not having the time to be ill, take care of ourselfs. Its a case of needs must so get on with it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »
I've been noticing at livestock sales, that increasingly we see older looking farmers bent and limping badly, walking with one or two sticks.  It really struck home today at Lanark.

Is it just that farmers don't retire but carry on until they drop?  Is it that it's generally a 'hard life' in farming?  Is it all the heavy lifting and handling of sheep and cattle?  Is it that farmers are more prone to accidents and  injury?  Is it being out in all weathers?  Is it lack of sleep at lambing time?  Is it financial worries? Or is it all of these together?

Has anyone else noticed this?  You don't see more damaged and worn-out bodies in a hospital Out Patient clinic than at some livestock marts.  What are we doing to ourselves?

Older ? see many a man in his 50's / 60/'s in that position. But we are a breed that doesn't know when to stop, and then if we do we'll dreop dead. All the old boys round here are like that , frighteningly there are boys younger then me but look way older. ( I kept my good looks  :roflanim:  )
I'm going to carry on while I can, not everything is worn out  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »
We always joke that if you see a man (or woman) with a ruddy complexion, roughened hands, old fashioned clothes probably not in their prime, and a hunch or a limp, sure as eggs it’s a farmer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 05:37:19 pm »

Yup, all of these. But mainly the combination of heavy work, lots of knocks, and the ‘out in all weathers’ lifestyle I think. Coupled perhaps with never being able to take time off, rest an injury, etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »
I suspect the younger generation of farmers will look quite different.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 08:46:44 pm »
Add in also a lot of pride coupled with social isolation.....

There's some interesting initiatives. around here we have The Farming Life Centre http://thefarminglifecentre.org.uk/ for example.

There's some trusts associated with farming too like RABI and Addington that focus on the farmer rather than the animal, and might be of interest if people are revising wills.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 09:51:44 pm »
Because they never retire.

My farming neighbour always laughs about the state of the old farmers at the local market. She says they can barely stand but wouldn't even think of missing a sale.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 11:17:14 pm »

I suspect the younger generation of farmers will look quite different.

Boils on their bums from sitting on a tractor all day, or failing eyesight from too much time staring at their computers?
I think there will always be old fashioned farmers wearing themselves out looking after livestock.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:13:25 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:43 am »
I would agree, that it is a combination of all of the factors that you mention. 

Also, probably combined with the fact that most other 'no-farming' people of a similar age will probably be sitting on their wing-backed chair knitting/watching the horse racing/sewing channel/whatever and putting on weight rather than hobbling around the markets, so you wont see them unless it is a Friday when they will all be in the supermarket!    ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS