NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Hornet nest  (Read 461 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Hornet nest
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:25:57 pm »
Any advice on getting rid of a hornets nest?

Will spraying wasp killer into the hole work?
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden
Voss Electric Fence

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
Re: Hornet nest
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:48 am »
If it's those mega invading hornets you need to report them, then get the professionals to clear them out, for everyone else's sakes as well as your own.  I know I'm a big fearty, but I wouldn't be spraying anything into a hornets nest - I know how fast I can't run  :D .  Still, if you're brave then I'm sure others will come up with some DIY methods of destruction
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:50:27 am »
European hornets (our native species) shouldn't really be a hassle & nests should start to collapse in the near future so unless an issue would leave.
Following is a link to the 'mega invading ones' which are actually smaller than the native ????
Media whipped up a frenzy with the 'Giant Asian Hornet', a different species altogether when the Asian hornet started to threaten our shores.

https://anglophone-direct.com/know-hornets-european-versus-asian/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »
Speaking as a complete novice as far as hornets are concerned - I would empty a complete can of fly/wasp killer into the nest after dark, when they will all be inside. It works for wasps so presumably will work for hornets also.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »
We had a  hornets nest in the chimney here a few years ago. I can tell you that they weren't all at home at night because a load got into my bedroom well after dark and one got me... quite painful.We called a professional who used a 20 ft pole to direct a jet of powder into the chimney from ground level - worth the £50 to avoid getting close.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:59 pm »
Our native European hornet flys at night

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS