NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Vaccination  (Read 341 times)

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Vaccination
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:39:14 am »
We have four goats vaccinated with Lamivac. We now have a few lambs who are vaccinated with Hepvac P, so it really makes sense for them all to be on the same vaccine if possible, is it ok for the goats to be on Hepvac P?
Thanks
Voss Electric Fence

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:18 am »
Heptavac covers 7 of the clostridial diseases, Lambivac covers 4.  The Goat Vet Society advises Lambivac for goats unless there is a strong risk of one of the other 3 on the premises, because Heptavac can overload the goat's immune system resulting in zero take up of immunity.  Essentially it can give you the same result as not vaccinating at all.  However, this will only show up if the goat suffers an incident. 

Some people never vaccinate and never get a case; some people vaccinate and for whatever reason the animal hasn't got sufficient immunity and succumbs anyway. 

The goats and sheep should also be on different treatment regimes... sheep have annual boosters after the initial double dose, goats should have 4 - 6 monthly boosters as the immunity doesn't last with them.

It's a risk based decision for you at the end of the day, worth discussing with your vet as they will know your area/premises and may advise the change.  They can also get advice directly from the Goat Vet Society if they're not fully up to speed with goats (lots of vets don't have enough goat clients to justify the additional training investment).

Given that Lambivac is less than £20 a bottle, it's a low price to pay.  You can also try to get into a bottle share arrangement with others in your area to share costs and minimise waste of product if that would help.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:58:47 am »
@Scarlet.Dragon I was wondering if you were aware of any evidence regarding the goat immunity with Heptavac P?  Do you know if the Goat Vet Society did a risk based assessment (I.e educated guess) or was there some verified examples?  The formal clinical studies are always on sheep so not much will be formally reported on goats as it is off license subscribing.

Currently I use Heptavac P and as I dose 3 times a year (pre lambing/ kidding, 1st and 2nd jabs) can conveniently add in the goats twice a year.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:45 am »
Sorry, can't point you to the specific research as I didn't go into that much depth... just read the information from the Goat Vet Society - anyone can join although only qualified vets have voting rights - everyone gets access to the same information from them.

My understanding is that there were trials conducted which resulted in the advice given but I haven't verified that and don't know if that was the result of statistical evidence of "failures" relating to goats on heptavac system versus lambivac system or if it was a clinical trial basis.

Personally I do the goats 3 times a year: pre kidding works with the 2nd vaccination for kids and then again 4 months later, meaning it's just 4 bottles per year for my lot (less than 25 animals).

There does seem to be anecdotal evidence that 6 monthly may not be sufficient based on breakdowns and the advice seems to be tending towards 3 times a year from several vets I've spoken to who are involved with goats but it's all a risk based decision for the owners.  For me, the cost of an extra bottle is low by comparison to a call out charge or even a consultation visit.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
Cheers, sounds like we are doing much the same. Essentially if I have any left in the bottle the goats get an extra jab so at least twice a year, sometimes 3.

Advertisement

vaccination

Started by maddy

Replies: 3
Views: 665
Last post June 03, 2013, 08:16:24 am
by ScotsGirl
Kid Vaccination.

Started by Belladonna01

Replies: 10
Views: 478
Last post June 12, 2019, 11:06:47 pm
by Scarlet.Dragon
Clostridial vaccination, again!

Started by McRennet

Replies: 4
Views: 1158
Last post June 19, 2012, 07:47:05 am
by ballingall

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS