Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paddock fence challenge with Neighbour  (Read 6712 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: Paddock fence challenge with Neighbour
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 11:09:34 am »
I agree about the proximity of wire stock fence against horse paddocks, particularly when the horses are not your own.  I read the original question as 'netting', ie not the wire stock fencing, so was more of a temporary solution. 

Looks like the OP is a one time poster anyway. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:30 am »

Looks like the OP is a one time poster anyway. 

Yup, and hasn’t even been back in yet to see any responses s/he might have had!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 05:16:30 pm »
Yup, and hasn’t even been back in yet to see any responses s/he might have had!
Probably outside putting up a new fence! 
Or being chased with a pitch-fork by the neighbour....... :farmer:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
It's a lot of fence for 2sheep.  ; :sheep: :sheep:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 11:34:54 am »
You may be technically correct SD - which I do not doubt. But the realities of fencing nowadays are somewhat different. I've never seen double fenced boundaries and certainly don't have any on my land where my livestock fields adjoin my neighbours.
 If my cattle get over a joint fence into my neighbours sheep pasture, then it's up to me to raise the fence, or put some more more posts in to prevent it.
 If my cattle get onto a neighbour's cattle pasture, then again it's up to me to tighten the barbed wire or whatever, but if his cattle are straying onto mine then I expect him to remedy the situation. We certainly don't each maintain a separate  fence on the same boundary.

In reality stapling stock netting to an existing fence is not causing damage and few people would take anyone to court for doing it. It would be a civil, not criminal matter and the costs would be prohibitive. The same with a horse getting its foot stuck in stock netting. Difficult to prove whose fence was responsible as its foot had to go through the wooden fence first, and again would have to be sorted out in a civil court.

It's not a perfect world and accidents happen. I just make sure my insurance against the unforseen and unlikely is up to date and use my common sense. :innocent: [size=78%] [/size]

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 11:55:31 am »
In reality stapling stock netting to an existing fence is not causing damage and few people would take anyone to court for doing it.

I’m afraid I don’t agree. 

Well, for one thing, the posts put up by the neighbour are suitable for post and rail and may be quite unsuitable for stock fencing.  Stock fencing requires tension (and if not tensioned, is dangerous to sheep as well as to horses), so the posts are usually longer (so bashed in deeper), heftier, with much bigger and heftier strainers, etc.

It is entirely possible that the attaching of stock fencing to the posts of the post and rail fence will cause the latter to have a reduced lifespan.  As it’s the neighbouri’s fence I think she’s entirely within her rights to object to object to the attachment of a second fence to her posts.  And it would have been common courtesy to discuss it with her beforehand, in any case, so the lack of that courtesy has probably not improved her mood.

x-posted with Black Sheep. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 02:39:55 pm »
The OP never mentioned their neighbour had horses.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »
In reality stapling stock netting to an existing fence is not causing damage and few people would take anyone to court for doing it.

I’m afraid I don’t agree. 

x-posted with Black Sheep. 

Sally you might not agree and that is obviously your perogative.  :sunshine:

But the reality of the situation is that people put up boundary fences all over the place and their neighbour on the other side attaches something to it. You get bits of trellis and trailing plants, further internal fencing, washing lines, and in this case, wire netting. To take someone to court is like prosecuting them for trespass. You have to prove actual damage in order to claim anything and damage in these cases is extremely difficult to prove or even to quantify. In fact it could even be said that wire behind a wooden fence is actually extending its life because the wire will still be there when the wood has rotted. But whatever the situation it would amount to a civil case if it ever came to court and the costs involved would far outweigh any notional damage that could possibly be claimed. It is one thing believing one is right in law. It is entirely another matter justifying the cost in proving it.
Rules are made:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 05:01:58 pm »
The OP never mentioned their neighbour had horses.

Well spotted Harmony!  :idea:
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS