Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting started with animals  (Read 2133 times)

Idkwhatimdoing

• Joined Aug 2018
Getting started with animals
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:12:05 pm »
Hi guys, I’ve got a house with 2 acres that I’ve been slowly turning more and more land to crops and food production.
I’m wanting to add chickens, goats and maybe rabbits (not all at once!) and was just wondering if there’s any legal hoops I gotta jump through. So many of the articles about this are abstract. Also yes I plan to slaughter on the land but I understand that’s legal as long as I don’t try and sell it.
Look forward to your input!
L

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Getting started with animals
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:05 am »
I have chickens, ducks, rabbits (meat) and goats.
I do slaughter chickens ducks and rabbits myself. Never tried that with anything bigger like goat or sheep. It is allowed though if you do it for home consumption only.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Getting started with animals
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:44:30 pm »
Hello!

I think poultry will be the way to go, chickens and geese would give you different eggs and meat and use ground in quite different ways. Perhaps try some bottle lambs in spring, rear them on your grass for the summer then into the freezer? I've never butchered sheep, but a guy showed me how to do roe deer a few years ago and goat was about the same but bigger. you need cph number and keeper number from defra to keep sheep or goats. Although shooting them felt like a big deal for me they had the best deaths, at home, happy with face in a bucket of food, no idea what was about to happen, no stress at all. Yes legal for own consumption. Could you shoot rabbits on neighbouring farmland? just a thought, might save you a lot of work :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS