Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any Irish sheep keepers here?  (Read 1647 times)

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
any Irish sheep keepers here?
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:32 am »
Any one here keeping sheep in the Republic of Ireland?
I could do with someone to talk me through the regulations please!

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: any Irish sheep keepers here?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 04:13:17 pm »
I was waiting for a propper farmer to reply.

I only keep 4/6 cades for for 8 months and then butchered.  I do need to do paperwork so if I can help I will, but bear in mind I'm a hobbiest.

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:22:10 pm »
Hello Ep90 :wave: pleased to meet you
Thanks for replying. Hobby is probably more use to me than one of the big guys anyway.
I don't really have enough room for sheep on my own land, so I'm still working out if its feasible at all.
Hope you don't mind if I ask a whole heap of questions as I learn new stuff...?
Do I need a minimum area of my own to get a herd number?

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:04:49 pm »
I applied 6 years ago so things may have changed.  Link may help you
https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/apply-herd-flock-number/
I requested the application form from agriculture food and marine, I’m close to Cavan so just called in.  Sent the form in and the Regional vet arrange a visit to see my set up.  Critical points being the amount of grazing for the number of lambs/sheep. Water supply. Shelter from severe weather (hedging, walls or field shelter etc.)  Separate area and shelter to isolate a sick animal.  I use 2 acres for 6 lambs but have another 2 acres that a lad takes hay off. This was more than satisfactory for the vet.
Being a hobby I did not get involved in tax, schemes, etc.  The paper work for movements and records are simple enough and a quick phone call to AF&M will clarify any query.  Once issued with a flock number I ordered the ear tags from http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/sheeporder.aspx

I re read your post... I believe if you rent land, on a contract, you can apply for a flock number to keep your sheep there.  Quick phone call to AF&M will confirm it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:40:29 pm by EP90 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS