Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cud malfunction!  (Read 2643 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Cud malfunction!
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:24:04 pm »
This is a new one on me, and I can't find anything in any of the books either.

I'm just back from a week away, and noticed that our shearling tup was looking really out of sorts. He was standing hunched and hollow looking. He also had his tongue hanging out, and was drooling.

When I caught him to check him over, I noticed that his mouth and throat were totally stuffed full of impacted and dried out cud:

This was a lumpy mass, so it seems he wasn't able to either burp it up or swallow it down.

The thing is, I can't find this one in any of my sheep books, and google only seems to want to tell me about horses (where the cause is apparently not drinking enough, or having sore teeth which prevents them from chewing properly before swallowing).

He's a compliant wee soul,  so I managed to get my hand right inside his mouth and cleaned everything out as best I could, hopefully including his throat.

He then drank over a litre of water, and I gave him some twin lamb drench, some vegetable oil and a little bit of lamb creep porridge. He's now making all the right gurgly noises, but isn't yet interested in grass.

So, any ideas as to what's caused this, what the treatment is, and what I should look out for over the next 48 hours or so?

Cheers!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Cud malfunction!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:06:53 pm »
My first thought was molars.  In older sheep sometimes an abscess in a molar, or one which is coming out can cause difficulties with chewing.  We all know about the sequence of eruption of the front teeth, but I for one know very little about the molars.  I wonder if an erupting new molar has caused him to be too uncomfortable to chew properly.  Nor do I know if a sheep swallows after a certain length of time spent chewing the cud, or if they wait until it's ready to go down. If he just kept on swallowing when he'd masticated (word of the day) for a certain length of time, that would explain the blocked mouth and throat.  Not being able to swallow could be the cause of thirst, as opposed to thirst being the cause of the cud being too thick to swallow.
He may well need to be tempted to get eating again by offering him tasty treats such as willow leaves and young cow parsley, or something crunchy such as digestive biscuits, which provide a bit of sugar, some fibre and a good amount of crunch.  You could add some sugar, honey or glucose to his drinking water, or syringe it over the back of his tongue, from the side of his mouth.
Otherwise, I've not seen this either, but maybe the grass is too long.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:08:59 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 11:32:07 pm »
On the moorland farm we had a Blue-faced Leicester tup we called Spitter.  So yes, I’ve seen this.  Yes it could be teeth or it could be an abscess or something that’s stopping him either chewing effectively, or swallowing effectively.

Check for rumen sounds and the ‘rumen wave’; if everything’s right that end, suspect blockage or teeth.  If the rumen seems taut and/or isn’t gurgling and moving, then the old yoghurt, bicarb and ginger drench should sort that out. 

I have seen it since Spitter, just a few times with a few different sheep, and it has mostly seemed to come right on its own.  So could be greed, over-long grass, or a short-lived problem in the mouth or gullet.

As you’ve been away, is it possible he’s had things to eat he shouldn’t?  And / or been short of water?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 08:02:23 am »
Would it be possible to exclude over-long grass as a cause by dissecting the bits of cud and looking at the length. A bit grim but that's nothing new for smallholding :-)

You can probably feel along the gumlines to see if there are any areas of heat, swelling or tenderness that would indicate a molar problem.

I wonder if another cause might be some kind of obstruction or swelling in his throat. Maybe something more twiggy or thorny snagged on the way down or even something weird like a wasp or bee sting.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:56:08 pm »
Update:

Vet has been. Managed to get a tube down into his rumen, so at least it looks as though there's no further blockage. Nothing obvious to see or feel around his mouth either.

He's also had:

Buscopane (to help get gut going again)Metacam (anti-inflammatory and pain relief)Alamycin LA, Vitamin B1 (not totally sure why, but I wasn't about to question!)Cattle "off-feed" drink. Basically compost heap starter, from what I can gather!

So now we wait!

P.S. Black Sheep - no evidence of over-long grass in what I pulled out yesterday. It was a bit dry, but that could just have been because it was stuck for a few days. Likewise Sally, he's definitely only had grass over the past week, and shouldn't have run out of water, though I can't be totally sure.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
On the point of erupting molars ...a search a while ago for a problem with one of my sheep revealed that much like humans sheep have molars that errupt later on up to 18 months and turn ( in some way) before errupting . This suitably exolained the hard swelling on my sheeps jaw and it did subsequently reduce without further incidence.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
Seen it a couple of times , one this year only did it once and then full recovery , not a clue ??   Cud spillers tend to be older , have 2 at the moment   3crop , 4 crop ewes and over a long period

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS