Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blue bottle type flys  (Read 2195 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Blue bottle type flys
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:40 pm »
I noticed the flys burrowing down into the sheeps wool to lay the eggs ? and a few flys buzzing over a couple of the lambs is that the first sign of fly strike?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Re: Blue bottle type flys
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »
yes
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:04 pm »
yes its a sign look for any kind of damp patches as your sheep are white wool you will see easier to other coloured sheep.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »
you have to act quickly. You can't begin to imagine how quickly this can become a big problem unless you have experienced it. Get the sheep in and take a really good look over them. Make sure you have the fly strike pour on stuff and treat them all whilst they are in. Personally I don't give too much regard to the dose, more interested in making sure I have a good strip down the spine and around the back-end and tail. Don't put it off. If you have seen flies laying their eggs they will be hatched and munching skin before you can blink!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
shrekfeet

yup I acted straight away and cut away the patch, re treated all 10, im confident there ok and im pleased no rain forcast for tonight and the treatment wont get washed off
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS