Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis in non lactating sheep  (Read 1147 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Mastitis in non lactating sheep
« on: August 07, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »
One of my pet sheep (age 4yrs)  who is not and never has been in lamb, looks like she may have mastitis. Very swollen and inflamed looking udder (one side only) warm to the touch. She is a bit quieter than usual and I have no antibiotics or analgesia to give her, so will call the vet first thing in the morning to get her looked at. I didn't know that they could get mastitis without lactating. As a relative newbie to sheep keeping (only 4 yrs) I would be grateful for any information on this or advice re: why this may have occurred? I have looked online but can only find info on pregnant or lactating ewes. Most of the information also says that they might die, which is very worrying.
Thankyou.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Mastitis in non lactating sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 06:34:52 am »
You will need an antibiotic and also some pain relief, like flunixin (NSAID) asap. I would also reduce her food intake to dry hay if possible. No idea on a prognosis, I never had mastitis in a non-lactating animals, but it can happen if infection gets into the udder.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:01:19 am »
Summer mastitis is spread by flies, our dairy heifers were prone to it if we relaxed the fly control.  Antibiotics and pain relief are a must.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:19 am »
Many thanks for your replies. Vet has confirmed it will be due to flies (despite her being Clik'd only 8 weeks ago). Someone coming out to her today for antibiotics and pain relief. What a constant learning curve animal husbandry is and how helpful this forum is to me. Thankyou.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:48 am »
I have just googled it - never heard of it before… and now I am going to be paranoid for my goatlings in particular, as they do have small udders, but not being milked. Heyho… the flies are really bad this year!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »
Summer Mastitis in sheep is rare , I have only come across it once in some one else's  empty shearling   ,treatment worked well . In heifers it is common and rarely  a bullock gets it  .  Clik does not keep flie's away it only deforms any maggots that are laid  plus it will be biting black flies that cause summer mastitis

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS