Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wasp's in hen hut  (Read 1174 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
wasp's in hen hut
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:58:34 pm »
we have a wasps nest inside our hen hut whats best way of getting rid of it with out upsetting hens , people say burn then out but its that dry n a wood hut any ideas

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: wasp's in hen hut
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:54 pm »
Is it a colony nest, the type which is about 6" across?  Or is it one of the small ones, about hens egg size, which hangs from a single stalk?  For the first kind, I would get the pest controllers in, if you can't wait until the wasps die off, in 2-3 months. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to wasps, and the thought of being pursued by a nestful of vengeful wasps really doesn't appeal.
The little nests are fine to leave there - we've had them in garden sheds and the hen houses and they don't bother anyone, then abandon the nest on the autumn.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:03:15 am »
its about size of a small football .I'm not bothered about them other half is  she hates them and I have to get rid lol

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:57:34 pm »
I put some overalls on .Taped up the wrist and ankles, wraped a scarf round my neck .Got near chicken hut just before dark when they are all at home but when hen's are still out, prepared  the wasp powder bottle put gloves on.Put clear bin bag over head of crash helmet, gone in gave nest the full bottle. Then got out. This is what I did. I me not instructing you to do this but it worked for me  ...... What happens earlier in the day i accidentally disturded it and about 50 wasps came out chased me 50 yards to my car i got in my car i had them up my teashirt etc   then went back in the evening
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:37:07 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS